Tuesday 9 June 2009

Broken Promises

Late last year, I received the offer of a new job and decided that for our new future I should accept. My old employer, whose name I will not write here, took the news quite badly. Anyway, I agreed to work out some of my notice, and it was during that time I messed the long-promised family Christmas that we had all been looking forward to.

When it cam time for me to leave that ship for the last time, the new guy in the office came down to speak with me and assure me that if I wanted to come back all I had to do was ask, and he seemed genuinely sorry to see me go.

Fast forward four months and the new company goes bust; I write back and am ignored. Not one word is ever written back to me. And now I find out, second hand, that those of us who did leave were no longer needed and thanks but no thanks.

I had the feeling that my old boss was one to hold a grudge, but to pass up the chance to re-employ people who had until recently work for them, just because they could, in favour of new guys is petty-mindedness to a new level.

I guess this was my hope, back on familiar ground working with old friends, even if it did mean dealing with Kevin. At least I don't have to pretend to like the guy any more. Or again.

I think a new beginning is called for, maybe something not quite so exotic; but who knows what is around the corner? I have sat around with my thoughts for long enough.

No comments: