Thursday 19 April 2012

Thursday 19th April 2012

19th of June 2010 seems a long time ago now. But then in other ways it seems like yesterday. Anyway, whichever way you look at it, two years ago today I started work on the Thanet Windfarm, which lead in time to a permanent position with the company that manufactured and installed the turbines.

Thankfully, I write these blogs, and so I am able to go back and read how things were back then. I remember that when I was told I had the job, after four months on the dole, I did get quite emotional. I didn’t realise how badly it was affecting me. I think that the repeated visits to the Job Centre, answering the same questions as though you’re not believed that really are looking for work and probably quite enjoy life with no work, and the lack of money that brings. But on top of that, it’s the self-doubt of one’s worth as the weeks stretch into months with no interviews, let alone jobs.

And here we are, two years later; it seems we have our heads a little further above water and seem to have a little more free cash each month. We are able to get out and visit places, maybe take in a show or two once in a while. It all makes life worth living, the frilly bits round the edge.

This year has not been a bed of roses; Vestas has been reorganising itself, and it is still going on, with the doubt and uncertainty that brings. We have been told, as far as our department is concerned, all that is over, but then again, that has been said before…..

If all goes well, I will have about 6 months left working out of the office in Ramsgate before the next project really ramps up and I see myself travelling in a triangle between home, Esbjerg and a small island on the Swedish coast (where the next project is); so, that is the (possible) plan. Before then, we have a trip to visit our friends in Bonn over the May Day bank holiday with a cruise on the Rheine; then a week in a cottage on the North Yorkshire moors, and possibly even more exciting stuff later in the year. We shall see. And work does make it all worthwhile; so although hardly anyone really enjoys work, it does make the good stuff in our life possible; house, holidays, concerts, meals out, cats and all the other great stuff we have in our lives.

No comments: