Wednesday 19 September 2012

Wednesday 19th September 2012

Good afternoon or good evening depending on where and when in the world you are when you read this. I should say good morning too, then.....

Hmmmm, if writing a blog is tricky, imagine who difficult it would be if we time travelled! I think Douglas Adams had something to say about the grammar of time travel.

"One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. ...

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you for instance how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations whilst you are actually travelling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own father or mother.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semi-Conditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up: and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs. The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be."

Or as Kryten would say:

"Actually sir, we don't ever have existed here anymore, but this is hardly the time to be conjugating temporal verbs in the past impossible never tense!"

But, I digress. As I usually do, of course. Today is a day of anniversaries; two in fact. On this day four years ago I married Jools. My third time. Third and final I stress. Not because i have anything against wedding cake, but I have found the person I want to spend the rest of my life with; and in fact she has already lasted longer than the two previous Mrs Hs; so either I'm mellowing or I have actually got it right this time.

If you want to read all about that time, go and read my entries for September 2008, which details the build up to the big day, the wedding and then the honeymoon afterwards.

Yes, I am happy; and for the past 17 years it is how I have lived my life; leaving the first mad Mrs H and ending up starting the divorce. Funnily enough, just as i left facebook she joined, and there was a picture of her with her two teenage sons, scowling; yes, that's how I remember her. I left and stayed left from her because I suddenly became so much happier. Yes, happy, smiling me.

And then there was the second mad Mr H: now, it's wrong to speak ill of the dead, so I'll just say I was happy for a while, and then wasn't; and it was only going to end one way; with me walking out the door.

And I am here because I'm happy, which is a very good reason indeed. Even happier I don't have to work offshore now and I'm back home each night and not having to deal with Malfoolish or any of the other maladjusted folks who choose to spend their life working away from home for months at a time.

2 years on: Scully

The other anniversary today is it is two years since the kittens came rolling and tumbling into our lives and hearts. We have seen them grow into very fine, loving cats, and despite the occasional spat between them and Molly, it has worked out pretty well.

2 years on: Mulder

This week we are back at work, and we were both greeted with full inboxes on Monday morning, and are working hell-for-leather all week as we have another week off next week. Today, I have been building a teamsite on the company intranet, and I managed to format all the hyperlinks the same. So, not all going well, but it makes a change from writing procedures.

The good news is that my long run of battling germs might be being won, as this latest batch does not seem quite so bad. And I got back on the cross-trainer today for the first time in several weeks.

This week I had the results of my blood test, and everything is fine apart from cholesterol which was a little high. And apart from the pills I was given, exercise helps, apparently.

Tonight, we are going out for dinner to celebrate our anniversary, but more about that night time.

No comments: