Thursday 1 August 2019

Wednesday 31st July 2019

Last day of July.

And the last day of July brought us cool winds, overcast skies and light rain.

Yay, summer!

And I decided it was a rest day from the latest cross trainer blitz. So, I had coffee, lounged around in my pants as Jools got ready, listened to some music and then got on with the usual stuff, which is mostly work.

Two hundred and twelve Although, whether it was the rain, or whatever, the garden was full of life in the morning. Two families of fledgling sparrows filled the bushes near the house, as did feeding Great Tits, and on the lawn, several fledgling starlings searched for seeds.

I got the big lens out and snapped them good. I got a really good shot of a Great Tit so close you could see the hairs on each of its feathers, same for a House Sparrow on the steps to the back door. And then a Grey Squirrel came to feat on what seeds had fallen from the feeder.

House Sparrow Passer domesticus That bit of excitement over, it was back to e mails and phone calls.

And with no Le Tour to watch, it was going to be a dull and long day.

Fred, is that you down there? But there is no pressure, so I lay on the sofa sipping mint juleps and fight of another attack of the vapours.

The working day ends at half three, I get out the scarifyer and get the dead grass and moss off, then mow it and scarify again.

Is that a Greenfinch down there? I have two sacks of dead stuff, and if I was right, a load of seeds for next year's flowers raked to the ground and now making contact with the soil. Having a garden looked unkepmt could be so much hard work: who knew?

Dunnock Prunella modularis I had worked for two hours, so rewarded myself with a glass of ice cold Belgian tripel, and relaxed. Though I did speak with Mu'm cleaner, and we compared notes.

Sigh.

Nothing bloody changes, least of all Mum. Still lying to me, to Sheila and herself.

Grey Squirrel I cook aubergine to go with left over pasta salad and sun dried tomatoes, which is a light and summery meal, doubly nice with red wine after the beer. Never mix grape and grain they say. I say "pah!"

We watch the birds in the garden during the evening, and that is that. Not much to report, dark by nine now.

No comments: