So, with phys, shopping. a shower, and having to be out before nine. Something had to give, and as we need to eat, it was phys.
We were going to meet a friend in Canterbury, so the rest had to be done, so we could get to the city and nab a parking space.
I went to Tesco after the first coffee of the day. The only coffee of the day.
It was already cooler, though sleep was tough overnight, but a breeze had risen, so took the edge off the day.
The upgrading of Tesco is nearly complete, with many aisles moved, so shopping is a kind of hide and seek. But I get round in half an hour and managed to spend over £100 again.
Back home where I had a shower whilst Jools puts the shopping away, then we can have breakfast before leaving at nine. Or just gone.Traffic was very light, both along the A2 and on New Dover Road into the city, but doubtless the city itself would be rammed.
It was.
We parked near St Augustine's, then walked into the city, where I spied a barber's with an empty chair. I needed a severe trim, and had an hour to kill, so went in and was shorn.
I felt like a woolly hat had been taken off.I walked past Christchurch Gate, past the new Marlow and Westgate to Canterbury West, where I had ten minutes before Graham's train arrived.
He said the train, a 12 car Javelin, from St Pancras was like the Tube at rush hour, rammed with folks heading for Margate and Ramsgate mostly, but plenty got off at Canterbury with Graham.
We walked away from the city to St Dunstan's, so Graham could see and record the church in which Henry II changed into his hair shirt for his penitent visit to the Cathedral after Thomas Becket's murder, and is also the place where Thomas More's head was buried after his daughter obtained it from a spike on Old London Bridge.
It was buried in the vault of her husband, the Ropers.From there we sought a drink, and settled on a place beside Westgate where I had a lemonade whilst Graham had tea. We chatted whilst the world went past. The air con in the restaurant was excellent, and I could have stayed all day.
But we were going to the cathedral, walking along lesser used lanes and alleyways until we came to he Buttercross and the Gate. I had tickets from a previous visit, so we could escape the queue for a ticket and get in quick.
Though in the Nave, the Altar was being set up as a DJ's booth or something. All chair removed, but the building had hundreds of visitors.Graham took shots, while I showed him some nooks and crannies that he might have escaped on previous visits.
We also went down to the crypt, and to the Chapter House.
He got shots while I people watched, and even found some things and places I had yet to record in nearly 1,000 images taken over many visits.
That done, we left through the two gift shops, as is the way, then doubled back to our old friend, the Thomas Becket, for drinks and lunch.Meddlesome Priest was back on the pumps, and very good it was too, as we had three pints each before lunch of burgers and fries arrived.
Graham had to get back to that London, we we walked with him back to the High Street, pointed him in the direction of Westgate, then we turned and walked the other way through the crowds back across the ring road to the car.
Wisely, Jools drove us home, arriving back at twenty past three. Time enough to catch most of the Norwich game on the tellybox, though I needn't have bothered.Despite playing well, creating many chances, it just didn't click, and were caught with two sucker punches, literally for the first as the forward used his hand to score. A late goal was too little too late, and so lost 2-1.
No comments:
Post a Comment