Monday 12 April 2010

Monday 12th 2010

Good morning.

In what should have been a wonderful weekend, basking in the good news from Friday, and as the weather was pretty wonderful too, what better way than to get out in the sunshine, rambling, photographing and generally living it up.

But, it didn't end up quite like that.

Walmer Castle

Friday morning, I ended up visiting a local castle that somehow we had not visited in the three years I have lived down here, and as it is just a ten minute drive, I thought I would take the chance.

Canons; sorry, cannons

Walmer Castle is quite similar in design to Deal, but this time it has been converted into a grand house; it is made from alternate cloverleaf patterns, one on top of the other, with it now being a part-time residence for minor royals and the suchlike.

Walmer Castle

It is a fine place, set in large, well tendered gardens, and the sunshine and shapes made for great photography.

I was still buzzing when I went to pick up Julie from work and we headed out to visit our friend out in the country to drop off some stuff as Francis is about to move from her country cottage to the seaside town of Whitstable as her landlord is kicking her out. It happens. And so she is packing up her life, and trying to decide which parts of her old life she can or cannot be without in her much smaller flat.

Ramsgate Harbour

I guess at times like these it is good to have friends and just someone to talk to. We also invited her to dinner on Sunday, and bid our farewell and headed out to a photographic meet in Ramsgate, where we would all be trying our hand at some night time photography.

Ramsgate Harbour

Before the meet up time, we went to a Belgian cafe for dinner and a celebration meal. And it may have been this that sealed our fate for the weekend. Anyway, for now, the meal was great, I had fish and chips; Julie had scallops and pasta and herbs. Both were great.
And then we went outside to meet our friends, tripods in hand as well as our camera, and snap the place to death.

Once the light had faded from the sky, the pictures began to all look the same, and I got bored; also because apparently no one wants to use a toilet after dark, the local council closes them all and my bladder was complaining. Anyway, I find Julie and we head back home, and after a day of roller-coaster emotions, we head to bed.

The next day, I will pass over in all but the briefest detail; something we ate, or maybe a bug that one of us had picked up, made itself known soon after dawn, and so we were unable to leave the house, or feel like it. Or rather, Julie didn't at first. I headed to Folkestone to pick p the picture, but on the way I knew things were not right.

Javelin at Folkestone Warren

Feeling like death warmed up, I did stay up all afternoon to listen to the football on the radio as my team edge ever closer to promotion. And then as the final whistle goes, take myself to bed where I shiver under two duvets. Julie feels better and watches the new Dr Who episode.

I drag myself out of bed to watch more football; why do I care about 22 men kicking a bag of wind around? It was El Classico, Real vs Barca live from Spain, and was pretty darn good, and kept me awake until 11, some two hours after I should have gone to bed.

But, we woke up better in the morning, and although took things easy, we did get work done in the garden and in the house. And were feeling fine by the time Francis came round and it was time to cook dinner; once again, roast chicken and all the usual stuff. After 36 hours of not eating, it tasted divine.

Now it is Monday, and I have four days until I begin work, I have to squeeze all those chores in that will have to be done before I re-enter the working week. All good stuff. Anyway, we feel a little better and ready to take on the world; one person at a time though.

1 comment:

Mr Benn said...

Outstanding good news about the job :) Well done :) Bloody well done :) Sure beats the hell out of being a QA in the portion room ;)

Be lucky !!!