Wednesday 31 December 2014

2014: How was it for you?

OK, I lied, there will just be two blogs today. This being the second.

So, whew, what a year! It has been a rush, one in which I have grown into my job, a job which took me to Denmark on a regular basis, and also to Sweden, Germany and China. For me it was pretty much the year I was living out of a suitcase, or cases as I manage to break at least two of them. Here are those trips in full, as taken from our wall calendar, which I hope is accurate:

January:

7th to 9th Esbjerg
14th to 17th Esbjerg

February

3rd to 6th Esbjerg
19th to 21st Arhus

March

4th to 6th Arhus

April

28th to 30th Arhus

May

6th to 8th Esbjerg
12th to 15th Arhus
21st to 23rd Gotenberg, Sweden
27th to 29th Arhus

June

9th to 14th Tianjin, China
19th to 26th Holiday to Northumberland

July

June 29th to July 1st Lubeck, Germany
1st to 4th Lem, Denmark
4th to 6th Esbjerg, Denmark
6th to 9th Ringkobing, Denmark,
10th Arhus
13th to 15th Varde, Denmark
16th Esbjerg
17th to 18th Arhus

August

18th to 21st, Arhus
26th to 28th Amsterdam and Rotterdam, Holland

September

2nd to 3rd Arhus
7th to 10th Lauchhammer, Germany
11th to 28th Annual holiday (resting)

October

7th to 9th Arhus
14th to 17th Arhus
26th to 29th Norwich Beer Festival

November

3rd to 7th Arhus
10th to 14th Esbjerg
17th to 21st Esbjerg
25th to 28th Esbjerg

December

7th to 11th Esbjerg
14th to 19th Witten and Stuttgart, Germany

In fact, it is not as bad as I thought, as in April and March I did very little travelling. But, I did clock the air miles up, and had a bag packed and ready to go pretty much all of the time. I guess the highlight was the trip to China. It was an experience I will never forget, and yet one I would not like to repeat, China and back in six days was too much flying and double jet lag, and too much for this bloke I can tell you. But, Anni and I saw some wonderful things on our trip into downtown Tianjin, were shown wonderful hospitality by our hosts. Quite wonderful really.

Work itself was a roller coaster ride of emotions, as I went from being shit-scared, to angry, frustrated and ending up as being in control and the customer very happy indeed. For that alone I can be very satisfied with what I achieved, that I found out that certain people in the organisation did not have any confidence in me, well, made my blood boil, now just makes me cold. The guy who expressed this still has not spoken to me, not that I expected him to.

In the wider world, it has been a grim year, as religious fundamentalism ran riot, with Islamic zealots beheading western hostages whilst the act was recorded and posted on You Tube. It is the modern way. A report revealed that the Western Allies laid aside their principles and conducted torture, kidnapping and jailing without justice.

Planes disappeared or dropped out of the sky, people ran amok with guns in America. The rich got ever richer and the rest of us got poorer. And the rise and rise of UKIP. Just horrible.

Music.

I tried to keep up with the latest trends in music, but I bought very little music to be honest. I am trying to think of songs that got my juices flowing, but nothing stands out as the really wonderful song of the year.

However, songs by Jamie T, King Creosote, Royal Blood did get my foot tapping. Here are sngs by those:











As for album of the year, I don't think I bought one, apart from the first CD by The Vapors, and as that was from 1980, that doesn't count here. Will try to do better next year, especially as the new album by Public Service Broadcasting is due out, The Race for Space. Should be wonderful.

Film.

I cannot remember if we went to the cinema this year, which means we probably didn't. Will try harder in the new year, I promise.

Sport.

Everything revolved around the world cup, from watching the end of the Spain v Holland game in the middle of the night before I left China on my way home. That ended 5-1 to Holland, but that that result was not the most remarkable says something about the world cup this year. England failed to live up the the already low expectations they have set in recent years, that they were not quite as bad es expected speaks volumes about the state of the game. England failed to wine a game, and their only point came in the final group game, dead rubber against Costa Rica who had already qualified. Suarez dominated the middle of the tournament with his latest biting indecent. He got a massive ban, and a transfer to Barcelona, so no real punishment.

But on a balmy and barmy night in Ringkorbing, I settled down to watch the semi final between Brasil and Germany, and no one really could have predicted what happnened next. Germany were 5-0 up in under 30 minutes, including scoring 4 in just 6 minutes, as Brasil wnet missing, or at least their defence and midfield did. Germany ran out 7-1 winners and went on to lift the trophy, quite rightly.

>

Norwich had a dog of a year. Relegated from the Prem, sacking their manager 5 games from the end of the season, then flattering to decieve in the Championship, at the midpoint, we are ten points of the promotion places, occupied by the old enemy down the A140. We hope for better in the new year.

Photography.

Another vintage year as I completed over 200 Kentish churches, saw 30 orchid species in Kent, I think. And went into Sussex looking for Burnt Tip and Suffolk for Frog. I may have found the first Sword Leafed Helleborine seen in Kent for 29 years, but will have to wait for this spring to confirm that. Butterflies suffered with the orchid obsession and work, but still a fine year. Plenty of rail tours came through East Kent, which also featured the return of a Western.

As for the new year: I see only work, work and more work. Oh well, enjoy the rest while you can.

Happy New Year

2 comments:

nztony said...

You had me in a panic then, trying to find the third blog for today! But I have read all 280 for the year.

Congratulations on finding the first Sword Leafed Helleborine in 29 years in Kent, that must be quite exciting.

Hope work, and music, and good cooking, and photography and your good self and Jools stay happy and healthy during 2015.

jelltex said...

Yes, 280 is a good number of blogs this year. It has been on heck of a year, I did so much, saw so many great things and visited so many interesting places.

I can't confirm the orchid yet, and one of the 'friends' I showed the site to has already claimed the Lesser Butterfly as his own discovery. It happens I suppose.

Happy New Year to you, Tony. Don't work to hard, and one way or another we hope to meet up one day.