Thursday 30 July 2015

Thursday 30th July 2015

Monday

And now, this feels like I am back at work. I mean, packing a case, checking in for flights and checking for the 7th time that I have my passport. But, due to the summer holiday, there is just the evening flight to Denmark, which means I can do some work in the morning before travelling.

Lucky me.

I am online at seven ready for the weekly management meeting, but it is cancelled again, so after checking mails for anything important, I make a second coffee and have breakfast. Outside there is the threat of sunshine, but the cats decide it is better to sleep inside. Situation normal, really.

At twelve I switch the computer off, I have another ten hours before I will be in the hotel and able to get some sleep. So, I shower, finish packing and have lunch before booking a taxi for quarter past two so to make the train to London at quarter to three. It turns up on time, and with little port traffic about, we make it to the station in plenty of time. Saying that, the driver did tell me it took him 50 minutes to get along Townwall Street to pick up a fare from the port earlier, so there is still traffic issues.

I am waiting on the platform and I see there are two trains to St Pancras due within ten minutes of each other. Then I remember that the line from Ashford to Canterbury is blocked by a derailed train after it struck a herd of cows. So, the trains are being sent this way round for now. And the first one would run ‘fast’ to Ashford, without stopping at either stations in Folkestone. Too good to miss.

So I climb aboard the extra train, have a front facing seat on the left hand side, perfect.

And indeed, we did whizz through both Folkestone stations, making those waiting for the train behind us step back from the edge. At Ashford, those who had to use the rail replacement buses piled on. Turning a what was almost empty train, into a busy one.

I won’t bore you with the trip into London, it is one I seem to have made 100s of times, there was nothing unusual, just travelling in the late afternoon. I arrived at Statford, and realized that I had over three hours before my flight, so I stopped at the cafĂ© on the station for a lage gingerbread latte with an extra shot. Two extra shots and a white chocolate cookie.

I stood on the DLR to the airport, so I could look at the progress of Crossrail near to the airport. In my time travelling from here, the tunnel has gone from a curiosity for me ( I wondered what it was, where it went) to being re-bored and now the track and signaling was being installed. IN a few months trains would be running through it once more.

I collect my boarding pass, manage to weave my way through confused passengers to drop my case off, get through security. It was half four, I still had two hours before the flight was called: so I had dinner. I would arrive in Denmark at ten, and the hotel at eleven, both too late to get any food. So, I had to eat before I flew. I had stuffed pasta and a beer, whilst looking out the window at the planes landing and taking off. One of the better tables with a view.

Time dragged. As I knew it would, and the place was crowded, packed with people going on their holibobs, or going back home after holidaybobing in London town. It gave me the chance to people watch, once I found somewhere to sit of course.

The flight is finally called, and I find it has now been upgraded to a jet, but with the same seat configuration. Hopefully, this would mean quicker flights and getting home early when I return on Thursday. I have 8A, which has good views not obscured by the engines or wings. I know these things are important, but they spoil my view and photos. I know what I like.

But with thick cloud over London, I would not be taking many shots on that trip. So I leave the camera in my bag, and instead look out of the window, waiting for the engines to start and then the plane to move.

We take off and bank slowly to the north, giving the familiar views along the Thames and The City. But the view soon changes, and we are fling north and eat out over the M25/A12 junction, which is stationary and in the middle of rush hour. I close my eyes as we climb through the clouds, and blighty is lost to view.

It will come as no surprise to learn that Denmark was under a large black cloud. And it was raining. And the cloud and rain had made it nearly dark. I now it was nearly ten, but this Denmark, land of the midnight sun and all that. As we taxi to the terminal, rain is bouncing off the plane, and I could see that the warning I received from my boss about needing a raincoat and boots was needed.

I get a Ford Focus and a sat nave, I now had to find my way to the downtown hotel in Arhus. In the rain. The rain did not hinder me finding the hotel, it was just yuk driving in the hard rain. The motorway was like a river, and lorries were kicking up clouds of spray. It was grim if I am honest. But an hour of driving brought me to the city, and down towards the docks I get to the hotel and find there are no parking spaces for me. I have to use the one for the shopping centre opposite. And then find my way back.

I drive into the car park and see signs pointing to the hotel to the lower levels of the car park. So I go down and down until reach the lower level. I park. What now? So I get out, get my bags and try to find the lobby. I am in a car park with no other cars, just hundreds and hundreds of empty spaces. Its kinda freaky.

Arhus I take the lift up to the shopping centre, see some more signs and follow them outside. I recognize the old train sheds in front of me, and so a quick walk will bring me to the hotel soon. It had stopped raining.

I check in and get the key for my room. Once inside get out my toothbrush and get ready for bed, not before looking at the fine view of the main railway station I now have. Oh man, I have to be up in six hours. I need sleep.

Tuesday.

I lied, I get seven hours, and am only awoken by a text from Jools chiming at me at seven. My boss calls, am I at the office yet? NO, I am now going in the shower I tell him. I explain the late arrival and the need for sleep. All is good.

The call was because this was a big day, and the reason I was in Denmark: the final meeting with the customer on the project. And a celebration meal. And whisky.

But more of that later.

I get dressed and go down to breakfast. It is full of couples and families on holiday. I seem to be the only business customer. I have some yoghurt and a cheese roll then set off to find the car. The sun is shining and it feels like a fine summer day is in store, but being Denmark, it will soon cloud over and turn to rain.

I do find the car, pay the parking ticket and drive round to the road which will take me up to the office. Past even more modern buildings beside the harbor and up alongside the tram construction which makes the one in Edinburgh seem positively speedy in comparison.

At the office I think I have half an hour before the customer arrives. It is like a ghost town, and the canteen is closed whilst it is upgraded. But my boss is here, and we talk over the plan for the day. There is no plan, lets play it by ear. Seems good.

At half nine I call the customer: they are still at the airport and so will be at least an hour. So, time for more coffee.

They do arrive and we meet, we talk, we drink coffee, we eat rolls, we talk some more and we shake hands and it is all over. I say all over, we have the celebration meal to have now!

We agree to meet up at five, giving me an hour to freshen up: put on a t shirt after taking my shirt and tie off. That done, I listen to the radio some, watch trains from the window, and look above the city as another band of rain sweeps in. Summer in DK!

The end of a very long journey My boss is waiting downstairs, we walk through the city centre to the hotel where the customer is staying. And then back again to a fine restaurant: Mash. Mash does steak. Just steak. So, I order steak, as does everyone else. And the good news is, the steak is good. As is the beer. And the chit chat, nothing quite like success to get the juices flowing.

We retire to a pub-style bar. We have more beer. And whisky. Time passes, night falls and money evaporates out of my wallet. As it does.

At midnight, we all call it a night and go back to our hotels. I realise I am lost and need the bathroom. I flag a taxi down and get him to take me the half mile to it. I give him 200Kr, my bladder is happy. It is one in the morning, in the mirror I see my eyes are red. Mostly red, I need sleep. I really can’t do this stuff any more.

No comments: