Friday 16 September 2016

Thursday 15th September 2016

I am writing this on Friday: the sunshine has ended, it is pouring with rain, wind is howling and I'm thinking of putting the heating on. But that is today, this was yesterday.

We were awake before the alarm again. A mixture of work pressure and high humidity was the reason. So we were up and drinking coffee before six anyways. Because we had an appointment in Canterbury in the evening, I was going to have pick up Jools from work en route to the appointment, but this also meant I had to drop her off in town so she could catch the bus to work from Dover.

On the 21st August, Twitter and other social media exploded reminding people that there is an eclipse in the US in 365 days time. This planted seeds in our heads, and we had been waiting for flights to be released so we could book a trip. Jools waited for me to come back before booking, so we could agree the details, and it turned out booking the flight and car through British Airways was the cheapest way. So, we were trying to book it before we left the house that morning, just so we got flights. The site crashed us out twice, and on the third time, as we were running out of time, it went through.

We are off to Wyoming next year, and have a Mustang convertible booked too. We are excited.

Almost excited as we have also booked a trip to Scotland on a sleeper train, and a cottage on the Isle of Skye for a weel. AND a friend from New Zealnd is coming over to join in the fun. Oh my word. 2017 is already shaping up the be so great.

But for now, work and all that shit.

We drive into town to the bus station, or the street that doubles for one now. Jools has 5 minutes, and I have to turn round double quick to get home to put the bins out before collection and then to start work.

The novelty of working from home soon fades when the sky begins to fall once again. And all plans of tidying up paperwork and reviews is out of the window. But these things happen.

Three comes along and I have to finish as I have another appointment with the chiropractor. Still my shoulder, and still it hurts. Its only down the hill, so I drive down, wait and read a Thomas the Tank Engine book, while my inner monologue reads along in a Ringo Star accent. As it should be.

I am pulled, pummeled and injected with needles.

I then have to drive to Hythe to collect Jools, driving through the rush hour traffic, then back again, making our way up Stone Street to Chartham, then via a narrow twisty lane into Harblemdown and into Canterbury, arriving at the University at half five. Phew.

We are there to discuss pensions, and whether we can both retire at 60. 9 years time for me, and seven for Jools. Sounds tempting. Anyway, we listen to the advisor, ask questions and in the end we have some serious thinking to do. But, its looking OK, not great, but OK.

It was seven, too late to mess around in the kitchen, and as we were in the city, we look for a place to eat. I suggest the Gate Inn right on the Old Dover Road; it looks nice, and shouldn't be too crowded.

It was OK, Jools had seafood risto and I had fish and chips, which wasn't the best, or worst, I have had. Anyway, that's dinner done, so we could go home and relax now.

Inside the house it was as humid as ever, so we retire to the patio as clouds roll over the sky, hiding the moon from time to time.

A mackerel sky. I toast it with a wee dram of Japanese whisky. As you do.

I know how to roll.

No comments: