Thursday 10 November 2016

Wednesday 9th November 2016

And verily, the rain did fall from the heavens again.

Disappointing for two reasons; one, I'm on me holibobs, and two, I had to drive into Canterbury for a meeting.

In which case we had to be up and out of the house by ten past six to get Jools to the station so she could catch the train to Folkestone then taxi to work. Or catch the bus, or something. This is what happens when I need the car, which is why unless there is a good reason, I try to get by without one.

It is just about fully dark when we drive down to hill to Martin Mill, rain is falling hard, but the road is empty, so we make to the station with no worries. I wait until the train arrives, then drive home for breakfast before gathering my stuff to drive to Canterbury for a meeting about pensions.

Seeing that the rain was bad, I allowed two hours to get to the university where the centre was, where the advisor works from. Anyway, I make it to the A2 with no worries, get by a few truck before the single lane from west from Whitfield, then tootle at 40 to the top of Lydden Hill. Traveling any faster that 50 was madness, so not surprising to see that many were doing much more than that, 70 or 80. The car was aquaplaning at such low speeds, so God knows how they were dong.

All roads into Canterbury were chocked with traffic. I pass by the first three, intending to make my way round the city, then head south to the University, hoping to have missed the worse of the traffic. No such luck it has to be said, stuck for half an hour waiting to get to the roundabout at the start of the motorway, then doubling back down Thanet Way to Whitstable, then down into Canterbury through Blean. This meant mixing it with the school run traffic, and being a miserable morning, many more cars on the road.

I arrived at the university after a trip of 90 minutes, to do 20 miles.

THe plan is to try to retire when we're 60; a bold plan, but one we're hopeful of, so we are moving pensions about, being proactive with them, so lets see.

That done, I am now free, just have to make my way home, and being after none there was little traffic in the City, so I could go round the inner ring road and then out onto the Old Dover Road to home.

Where it was still raining. Hard.

The boys had not come round, no surprise there, really, so I had the house to myself, where the reality of the Trump win meant I had to avoid Twitter and the radio. Just too depressing really. There was Tuesday's Radcliffe and Maconie show to listen to, photos to edit, blogs to write, cats to tickle, and birds to watch in the front garden. The day passed by slowly.

I can now say I am relaxed, and ready for something a little more exciting.

There is out of date pizza for dinner, which I rational, if I cook it until its burnt, all the germs will be dead. I dodn't get a diploma in food hygiene for nothing you know. Anyway, its the next morning and we're still alive.

Darkness falls and the clouds clear, again, and the 2/3 full moon shines down.

No comments: