Friday 17 February 2017

Monday 13th February 2017

The big day had arrived.

I say big day, what it was, was that I had arranged to inside a church in London. Myself and several other GWUKers had tried several times to see inside it, but we always found it locked. So, thanks to the internet, I was able to arrange a time and date when a small group of us would be allowed in. Or so we hoped, I mean one can never tell if on the day we were told no.

But, with arrangements made between the four of us, all that was left was to make sure camera batteries were charged, memory cards had enough memory, and then to set the alarm for early doors.

Even though the appointment was for two in the afternoon, as Jools had to go to work early, she dropped me off at Martin Mill at six so I could catch the early train upto London. At least it wasn't as cold as last time I stood here, but this time it was for pleasure, not for work, so maybe it was my mind telling me I was enjoying standing on the platofrm in the inky blackness just before dawn.

Javelin A few other hardy souls were also waiting, but it being the first day of half term, many parents were taking the week off too, which explained why the train was nowhere near full even after the Ebbsfleet stop. As we neared London, dawn came, showing up the late winter countryside, and mirror like River Medway as we thrashed over it at 140mph.

St Pancras by the slice I also got to stay on the train until St Pancras, but had no real idea of what I was going to do with my morning, other than take lots of photos. As we came out of the tunnel, crossed the ECML and rounded the final bend into St Pancras, I saw the old gasometers that used to tower over the tracks, now moved and one turned into a park, whilst others contained new builds. I have always wanted to see that park I thought.

So it was that I walked down into the subway, along the illuminated passageway to Granary Square, then mixing it with the builders trudging to work, carrying snap and bottles of high caffeine drinks. I stopped to take pictures at regular intervals, smiling as I did so. This was great, a clear day, soon to be bright sunshine and all of it to take shots in.

The builders went through a turnstile, and I walked on, down an alley, and into the park. And being early I had it to myself, just a couple of security guards walked by making jokes whilst they smoked. I took many shots, then stood on the side of the canal as trains left St Pancras on the other side of the water. I took more pictures.

Gasholder Park, Kings Cross There was a path alongside the canal, which took me back to St Pancras where I had spotted a nice Italian place where I could have breakfast. But for now, I was happy enough walking along the footpath, dodging joggers and cyclists, looking at river tugs moving barges full of spoil. I took photos of those too.

Javelin I had a cooked Italian breakfast and two huge cups of coffee. Spicy sausage was both spicy and a sausage. And good.

Fully fueled, I went down to the Thameslink platforms to try to get a shot of one of the new class 700 units. I only had to walk onto the platform to see one leaving. I took the first train south to Farringdon, got out to wait for one of the new units. It was less crowded there and better light. I only had to wait two minutes before the next train, a 700, came in. I got my shots, then climbed on so I could ride to the next station, City Thameslink.

700115 A plan had now formed in my head, revisit a church near to St Paul's, walk up to St Anne and St Agnes, my first time there, and I found it locked fast. But the other one was open, so I snapped in there, redoing shots I had done on the compact. Probably not much better, but the wide angle lens is wider, so more church per shot!

From there I decided to revisit St Lawrence Jewry, a church I last did several years ago and so was ripe for a revisit. It is near the Guildhall, and so easy to find, and just walking down the cobbled streets, past ancient and interesting buildings whilst the city started work was a real pleasure.

St Paul's St Lawrence was open, and empty, so I went in and did my shots, snapping more of the details I'm sure than I did before.

From there I thought I would go back to the very first church I visited in The City, St Olave Hart Street, a little gem of a church, so rammed with memorials and decoration, it is a delight in any direction one points a camera. I snap it good, and having noticed a Shepherd Neame pub on my way, I go back there to wet my whistle, and take the weight off me plates.

The Gherkin at St Andrew Undercroft It was midday and the news headlines were showing, I looked at them and shrugged. It all seems to trivial and us so powerless to stop the idiots in power. Let reality rip them a new arse, as me old Dad would say. Probably.

I walk over to St Helen's, we were due to meet at one, in the hope of going inside, as their website said that's when it be OK to go in. But there was a Bible class going on, and would not let Aidan or I in until two, and by that time we hoped to have met our two friends and we going over to St Peter.

St Olaves Hart Street So, we walked to St Katherine Cree and St Andrew Undercroft; St Katherine had a choir practice going on, so we did not stay, and St Andrew although the front door was open, you needed to enter a code to get through the inner door. So we walk across Cornhill to St Michael and find an organ recital going on. As Motzart said, the music had too many notes, but was very impressive in a Wren church, and I felt the walls to make sure the 16hz sounds of the deepest pipes were there. They were.

St Peter Upon Cornhill, City of London We walk back over to St Helens, and Sarah and Malcolm were there. We shake hands and greet each other, so for the first time, other old friends and I go into St Helens to see about accessing St Peter. A phone call was made, we were expected, so back over to Cornhill, and round to the yard, knock on the door, and we were let in.

St Peter Upon Cornhill, City of London We shook hands with the guy, did we need anything, and he let us get on with it.

50 minutes later, we all had our shots, so we said our goodbyes to the friendly bloke and the church, and went on the old Arthur Dent challenge of finding a good cup of tea.

St Peter Upon Cornhill, City of London Inside Leadenhall market we find a place, so gather round a table to chat like old friends, which we were, just most had never met before. But, time was ticking, and if I went back I could catch the half four train and Jools could meet me at Dover on her way home from work. I texted her to confirm the plans, then set about saying goodbye, and walking to Liverpool Street, taking the stairs down to the Circle Line and then just four stations along to St Pancras.

Enough time to use the free facilities for the 3rd time that day, then be up on the platform as the train arrived, get a seat on the right hand side facing forward, and then review my shots whilst waiting for the train to depart.

It filled up, but not too much,m until an orange family arrived complaining loudly that they could not sit together. They had been shopping and were happy with the clothes they bought. Takes all sorts I suppose. I blocked their chatter our and watched as Essex and Kent slipped by and faded into the dusk. End of a perfect day.

Jools was waiting for me, taking us up Jubilee Way to home, where dinner was taking the pasta and aubergine out of the fridge and pouring the wine. Diner in ten minutes after arriving, and very tasty indeed.

Needless to say, rest of the evening was spent reviewing and editing pictures and listening to yet more football.

A perfect day all round really.

No comments: