Thursday 21 May 2009

A job offer

Hi there,

Here I am all back home in deepest Kent, with France just a haze on the horizon again.

I have applied for jobs; updated my CV and generally did chores around the house; I am using my time fairly wisely. Yesterday saw the battle of shed roof rejoined.

Let me explain.

When i was away in Kazakhstan, Jools bought some stuff; one was a new shed as the one already here was rotten and falling to pieces. She wanted a new one, and she ordered it and it got put up. But she wanted one with a plastic roof that let the light in, like the one we had in Dover.

So, waiting for me was a pile of plastic and fittings, which was the roof. I opened the package last weekend, and found the instructions written in Ikea-ese. In a word, I gave up.

My brother-in-law was supposed to be coming round at some point to help. Well, do it. But I got thinking, how hard can it be?

So, Tuesday morning, I got the bits out, and it began to make sense. And thought I could do it. So, yesterday I drilled holes, attached struts and just got the job done. I did not put the fancy trimming on, my point being it's just a bloody shed; but so far the roof is still on and it looks right.

Yes man has once again triumphed over the evil that is poor instructions, and using the soft thing between my ears I have achieved something. It may just be a shed roof to you, but this is something. You should see some of my previous efforts!

And then we had a bbq. I lit the Weber, and waited for them to warm up. I drank ice cold Adnams; which was great. A friend came round; we all chatted, and then I played records whilst drinking more beer. It was great.

Just before bedtime, I turned the computer on for the first time all day, and there was a message;

a job offer!

Negotiable salary!!

A house!!!

In Perth!!!!

Australia!!!!!

That sobered me up pretty darn quickly.

I had a Glenlivet to calm things down.

I had another to send after the first one to lend moral support.

I had a third because, why the heck not?


And so, we now have some serious thinking to do. As you can imagine, a move to the other side of the world, leaving friends and family behind is not something to do lightly.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: