Thursday 14 May 2009

Things Change

It all began as such a great day.

We got up, went downstairs for a healthy breakfast of cereal and fruit, and then after collecting our bages, left the warren of narrow streets on which our hotel is on and flagged down a taxi to take us to Gare du Montparnasse, to catch a train to Jools' friend in Le Mans.


We went to the automatic ticket machine, got it to print out in English, and got our ticket, found the platform and settled down in our very comfortable seat on the TGV.

Then the text message arrived; have you heard about the company?

It was from my friend, Dick.

Sensing something wrong, I called him international on my mobile, and the news was every bit as dreadful as I had feared.

The company had gone into recievership on Monday afternoon; we were to lose our jobs, and have to claim the money owed from the Kazakhstan job from the reciever, along with others who would be feeding over its corpse.

Needless to say, we're stunned. I got the phone call this morning from the MD to confirm my termination and where to claim my wages if there is any money. And that was it; enjoy your holiday.

So, I have sent a begging letter to my old boss, the Christmas killer, and am now waiting. We are not panicing, yet. We have saved some months mortgage payments, but all our plans for holidays and the such are now very much on hold.

All in all, this has been a bot of a downer, but we have tried to get on with the business of a holiday, even though we want to be home looking for a job for me.

Worse can, and has, happened.

No comments: