Friday 17 September 2010

Friday 17th September 2010

And so, it is Friday afternoon. Work is trailing off as those in Denmark begin another long weekend, and my thoughts turn to sloping off early too. And to make matters even better, it is my first week off since I started this job way back in April, and I am ready for a break. Not that it is high pressure or anything, but I have been banging my head on numerous brick walls, playing e mail tennis with people all over Denmark, and even with success, it does get very boring quite quickly.

Javelin at Minster

Apart from work and football, not much happened this week. I get up, we get up, head off to work early to get stuff done as quickly as possible, and then head home to do the fun stuff in life; the stuff not associated with work. At the weekend we picked sloes and blackberries and apples. And after making the two apple and blackberry crumbles, Jools also made crabapple and sloe jelly, which she says is even nicer than the quince jelly from last year. So good in fact we might have to go picking again next week to make another batch.

Steaming through Minster

Wednesday evening, I left work early to go to Minster to watch a steam train power through. It involved some waiting, and chatting to some other like-minded people who had gone down to the station to see the train. After half an hour of nothing, just the occasional passing train, and the light getting worse and worse, a lone mournful steam whistle could be heard over the marshes. And then there she was, coming towards us at full speed. The track was about a mile and a half straight; and so we got a great view as she approached. And then she was at the station and passing beneath our feet, and left us swathed in smoke and steam.

Steaming through Minster

As I walked to the car from the station, this guy was walking beside me, chatting away, and in my desperation to get in the car and away from him, I did not do the zip up on my camera bag. The upshot of which was when I got home and unloaded the car, I swung the bag onto my shoulder; the camera just carried on going and flew out of the bag, over my other shoulder and landed, lens first, on the concrete of the driveway.

Crash tinkle tinkle went the lens. As it turns out, the filter took the impact, and although dented, the lens still works, and the camera seems fine. But I did feel stupid and slightly sick as I looked at the camera sitting there on the ground surrounded by shards of glass. Bugger.

Steaming through Minster

So, I checked the camera, and it took a fine picture with the damaged lens, and was fine with the macro one too. And so, once the front element is cleaned, it may be fine, but I am thinking it might be time to upgrade to something a little quicker……

Anyway, so the weekend gets nearer, and for me a week off. Lots of photography planned, and so travelling. Bee good, peeps.

44932 hauls the Battle of Britain Memorial train through Minster (Thanet) 15th September 2010

No comments: