Monday 9 May 2011

Monday 9th May 2011

And so, just like that, our holiday was over. But, on the plus side we still had the rest of the week off and in which to squeeze lots more fun things in. Although before that could happen, the usual stuff, like the washing needed to be done, a trip to Tesco, collect the cats from the vets and tidy the garden. And so went Wednesday and Thursday pretty much. Sometimes it’s just good to relax and do some stuff, then sit in the garden drinking a beer and then doing more stuff. Even more so than usual, the cats were clingy once we got them back, which was good until the novelty wore off and wished they went to bed or bird hunting rather than sit on our chest as we tried to watch TV or read a book.

Life got a bit more exciting on Friday, as I headed up to London to meet with one of my Flickr friends, as he was over visiting from his home in Indonesia. I caught the first ‘cheap’ train of the day just before ten ( a train which arrives in London before ten costs over double what the ‘off peak’ costs). Another glorious day to be off work and heading into London for sure.

I arrived at St Pancras just before 11, and snapped the huge Olympic rings hanging over the train. I snapped other stuff too, as I do really. Then down into the Underground to get to Trafalgar Square which is where I was to meet Michael.

Flickr friends

As we travel to London at all times of the year, and visit places off the beaten track, it is sometimes easy to forget just how bloody popular and crowded it can get. Walking into Trafalgar Square on that bright lunchtime, when it seemed there were people from all corners of the world mingling around taking photos and just enjoying the day.
I had arranged to meet at a quiet pub between the Square and Charing Cross station called The Sherlock Holmes; shouldn’t be hard to find, should it? Well, even though I knew roughly where it was, I had to resort to Google maps to find it after walking past the same shop for the third time. I was early for the meeting, but time for a drink. As I was ordering, Michael came over and we shook hands, and I got him a pint too.

St Pancras International; your Olympic station

It is a wonder, or maybe not a wonder, of the modern age that you meet with someone for the first time, and yet you know them so well; as we have written to each other for months, looked at each other’s pictures and shared our musical memories, as that is our real shared love.

Anyway, I sat down with Michael and his wife, Mau Mau, and we talked about life, art, music and wind turbines. The time just flew, we ordered fresh drinks and talked more.

After a while we went to the National Gallery as there was an exhibition that they wanted to see. After walking round that, we walked through the various rooms showing each other our favourite paintings and artists. There really are no better ways to spend an afternoon.

But is it art?

At about three I took my leave to beat the rush on the trains and made my way back to St Pancras and then soon enough zipping through the tunnels under north London and into the Essex countryside.

After dinner we sat down to watch Unstoppable on TV; better than it had any right to be, and it features a lot of train shots, which is great for me. Denzil as a train driver was a little unbelievable, but still, who hasn’t wanted to be a train driver.

481 4 42 49

And then it was Saturday. The day of the party.

The day of THE party.

Party.

Norwich City have been promoted, I may have mentioned that before. I may have also mentioned that I am a fan of them. Really. And as it had looked like for a while that City might get promoted, I decided to head up for the last game of the season, even though I knew I would not get a ticket, just to be in the city and for the celebrations.
So, I took the train once again, up to Stratford, and waited for the Norwich train, and relaxed into my first class seat and watched the city slip by and then the bright colours of the countryside take over. Through Chelmsford, Colchester and Ipswich, into Suffolk and then Norfolk, arriving in Norwich 18 minutes before kick off. A quick walk to the ground to see if I could buy some tickets, with no luck. Inside the cheers and clapping was deafening, the streets emptied and I walked to a bar and ordered a couple of beers.
The final games all kicked off at the same time and most issues were already sorted. City ended up drawing 2-2, and then the presentations and lap of honour and then the crowds came swarming out and most of them wanting to celebrate with a beer. And then another. And then another; and so on and on.

Hands up if you're Premier League.

I met up with my friends, we bought drinks, emptied our glasses and got more beer. The hours passed, and then at eight, I guess under instructions form the police, they wouldn’t serve us any more, which meant some of us would go home, or the crowds disperse anyway. We went to another pub near the ground and had one more, and then I went to my hotel to clean up and sleep.

Next morning I had a good breakfast, packed my bag and headed to the station for the nine o’clock train back to London. And first class once again! Once in London, almost all tube lines were shut, and so I had to get the Central Line back to Stratford as it was easier than getting to St Pancras. Whilst waiting I orderd samosa and a coffee and sat on the platform to wait for my train. And so ended the great adventures, the holiday and City’s triumphant return to the Premier League.

Job done.

I hate to end on a down note, but when we got back from Germany two pieces of bad news reached us. One of my local Flickr friends, Ken Baker, collapsed and died of a suspected heart attack whilst on a photoshoot at the weekend. And then thanks to some odd posts on Facebook,I found that my friend in Arkansas, Jason, had taken his life on Monday evening. Jason was like a brother to me for a while, and although we had not spoken for a while, and I knew he had been going through some bad times, I did not realise quite how bad. I will miss them both, and my thoughts go to their families.

No comments: