Wednesday 25 May 2011

Wednesday 25th May 2011

I like to think I am not a sentimental old bloke, but this month used to be when most of the family’s birthdays used to be. Last week would have been Granddad’s, this week Dad’s, and on Friday it is Mother dear’s. And on top of that, today would have been the second Mrs Jelltex’s birthday. So, on occasion I have been thinking about what might have been and what was.
Granddad was like most people’s Granddad was, kind, loving and proud as punch. Proud even when I joined the RAF rather than the Coldstream Guards, which was his old regiment. He had been trying since I was old enough to walk, to march, to do rifle drill and the such. He even took me to the central recruiting office in London at one point. All I can remember about that is being able to play on a full size snooker table. He did come up to Lincolnshire to see me pass out after completing basic training, and I think I did OK. He passed away, alone, some three days after Dad did in that dreadfully memorable April in 1996. The last twenty years of his life were not fun, sharing life with his wife would have tested the patience of a saint. His health got worse; heart attacks, angina and other problems meant he was in and out of hospital. It got such a regular occurrence, we thought he would always come out again.

Dad was dad; a gruff bear-like man who tried to understand feelings and stuff. I guess underneath the hard sawdust coated exterior, was a kind and loving man. I did see that side sometimes, events since his death have shown that he was batting a lying and evasive foe, and trying to get the truth out of his wife, my Mother, is not easy. I have given up on that. We fell out on occasion too, going years without speaking. With the end of my first marriage, bridges were rebuilt between us, and I spent one last glorious Christmas at home in 1995, on leave from the RAF in Germany. By the end of April the next year, he and Granddad were both gone and it was me, Mum and two Grandmothers.

Still life goes on; it did then, and does now. Pain does subside in time, and I even forget the date they died; but their birthdays I remember. As for mad wife #2. Today would have been here 50 something birthday had she lived; but she didn’t, she chose a long slow death by diabetes, and left behind her only son aged 16. But that point we were divorced and separated by the width of the country.

Life still goes on.

The Spitfire, Lydden, 22nd May 2011

I did actually buy Mum a birthday card at the weekend, and it is on the dining room table waiting to be written on. I meant to write on it Sunday, and then Monday, and Jools even said it needed to be done last night so it would catch the post this morning. We went out for a walk last night and it kinda got forgotten. And so I walked into Ramsgate this lunchtime to buy another card, and take it to the post office to be posted, just to make sure it will be there by Friday morning.

As ever, work goes on as ever, with my deadline rushing towards me. I have completed one task and sent that off today to my boss. Lets hope he likes what I have done. Other than that, I am reading and re-reading procedures to enlarge my understanding of how things work, or don’t.

Blind Spot by B.T.

I have the evenings free now as the football season is almost over. I have caught up on my reading as far as magazines is concerned, and there is nothing better than laying in bed with a cat or three asleep pinning you in one position whilst you read. Until you try to move, of course, then its cramp in both legs and the cats think you’re crazy.

Last night we did go for a short walk; we left well after dinner, as the sun set casting wonderful golden light over the downs. There are very few butterflies around this year, or maybe they are just avoiding me. And this week has been quite windy, which means those that are about will be sheltering. Anyway, we walk along the track at the end of our road, past fields of wheat and barley, join the track about half a mile away, past the copse with the pigs and end up at a field with two horses. Unusually, they were friendly, and came over and nuzzled us both, hoping for food. And one just stood still as I stroked his chin, he dribbling on my coat.

Bless.

Anyway, two days to go before the weekend; a three day weekend and it is pay day too! And after that, nine days at work until we head off on our holidays to the Welsh marches for a week of castles, walks and trains. Maybe.

Until next time, may your God be with you….

No comments: