Sunday 5 June 2011

Sunday 5th June 2011

Oh, lazy Sunday afternoon-ah, got no time to worry, close my eyes and slip away-ah.

Well, not quite Sunday afternoon yet, its only just gone nine, but it already looks like its going to be a lazy day. Doubly so as my legs ache from the walk I did yesterday (more about that in a minute) and heavy rain is forecast soon, and is very dull and cloudy now and so much so we almost need to have lights on if we wanted to read.

My working week ended with me working from home on Friday, as our car had to go for a service. And so instead of heading into the traffic of an early Friday morning, I walked down the stairs, got the laptop out of my bag, switched it on and connected to the web and using VPN got down to some work.

Ferry

I know there has been talk this week of commuting times, and questions raised as to how much work can be done whilst working from home. So I can reveal that I did do at least as much work as I would whilst in the office; however, I could have done much more work if it hadn't have been for them cats. Things about young cats is that a laptop on a dining room table is a mere pounce away, and those keys look really fun to lay on, don't they Dad?

So I fed them at lunchtime to get at least a couple of hours peace in which I could work unhindered. And the good news is the tiny copper cable in which the interwebs reaches our house did stand up to the demands of conferences on the communicator. Yes, communicator, just like Star Wars, as we are living in the future.

Dover Town Yard

At four in the afternoon, i switched of the computer, as there was little point in going on as most of Denmark were having a long weekend due to the bank holiday on Thursday. So, work finished, I popped a bottle of home brew and went to sit in the garden to wait for Jools to come from work.

During the day, the DVDs I had ordered from Norwich City arrived, reviews of the last two seasons, and so I sat down to watch our glorious climb from that 7-1 opening day defeat to Colchester to eventual promotion, and later today I will watch last season which ended with Norwich promoted to the Premier League. Tow seasons of win after win after win. Probably, we'll not see days like that again in a while!

War Cl Ed.

On Saturday, I had arranged to walk from our house to Folkestone with my friend Matt. I say our house, Jools gave us a lift to South Foreland light, and then we were on our own.
We made quite an early start, with our feet on the ground at just before eight, and had the entire route to Dover just about to ourselves; a cyclist came up behind us as we walked past the lighthouse, and a couple of middle-aged ramblers strode past us as we walked past Langdon Bay; we greeted each other with a cheery good morning.

We were in Dover just after nine and walked into the town centre for a bacon roll and a cup of coffee before we set off and our ascent of Shakespeare Cliff.

Now, Shakespeare Cliff is not thousands of feet high, probably a couple of hundred of feet or so, but the path goes up and up, getting steeper and steeper. In damp conditions, the path is slippery as hack, and the only way to get to the top as your shoes or boots become mud-encrusted, is to grab hold of the barbed wire fence beside the path. But in dry conditions, it is just my general lack of fitness that is the problem, and i stopped regularly pretending to look at the view of take another shot of the view onto the beach and harbour beyond.

Matt and the shot

But, I made it, and Matt did too, and after me pausing to get my breath back and have a slug of water, we pressed on.
Up on the cliffs, the wind was keen, but did keep the temperatures down, as the sun was shining from a mostly blue sky and out of the wind was even hot. So, we pressed on, taking shots as we went, until we reached the narrow path at Capel, and our planned stop at the Lighthouse pub just a bit further along.

Climbing every mountain

Imagine my surprise to find it closed; I had drunk all my water as I was expecting a nice cold pint here, but instead we had to keep on going. Our feet ached, and in the houses that line to road, out of the wind, we got warmer and warmer.

We stopped at the Battle of Britain Memorial for a cuppa and a break, and then went on another few hundred yards to The Valiant Sailor, which was open, and we ordered pints of cold beer whilst we waited for Jools to pick up home and take us and our tired feet back home.

IMG_8018

No comments: