Monday 11 July 2011

Monday 11th July 2011

And so Sunday. Despite a sunny start, the clouds did roll in, and so the plan to go to Walmer Castle was delayed and then shelved.

Jools worked hard in the garden, weeding and planting, and I messed around on the computer with occasionally providing coffee and words of encouragement. Like this the morning passed quickly.

After lunch Jools went to visit her Father, and I sat down to watch the Tour de France on TV. Eurosport says there is nothing more relaxing than watching others work hard on a Sunday afternoon; in which case I was very relaxed. I watch not just for the sport, but to see the landscape passing by either from the case bikes or the helicopter. It is all rather wonderful. There were crashes, and a TV car knocked two of the leaders off their bikes, and there was some good chasing of the breakaway group by the peloton.

So, this week we have the world of golf descending on our little corner of the world for The Open. That’s THE Open, not the British or English Open, just The Open. It’s all going down in Sandwich, and there is traffic chaos forecast for the area. And I have to drive past there twice a day on my to and back from work. So, from Wednesday, maybe even from tomorrow, I shall be working from home as travelling by car is going to be a nightmare. This is the first time I have lived near where a major sporting event is taking place, and a few months back it seemed all rather exciting, but now it just so bloody inconvenient to be honest, we can’t go here, there, and everywhere else is going to be crowded. Oh well, back to normal within a week.

Cinnabar Moth

If only I liked golf it would all be so exciting for me too; but I don’t. I played once, and found it very frustrating. We may go for a walk along the beach from Deal on Sunday, to look over the links to the golfers, but I think that right of way may even be closed. I had thought of going to look at the golf, but found that cameras are banned as it might put off the golfers! Not all the bright Pringle clothes puts them off, so why should my camera? I’ll stay away, maybe even go off to sunny Norfolk train-chasing again. Or not, we shall see.

Cinnabar Moth

Whilst watching the cycling yesterday, I noticed a flash of red through the front window, and saw what was a moth or butterfly. I went to get my camera, walked to the front of the house, and it was still there. So I got a few shots off and then tried to identify it, which did not prove to be hard. And found that it is called a Cinnabar Moth; it even sounds wonderful.

Time then to cook roast beef and all the trimmings for dinner, all acompanied by a fine bottle of red. And so the weekend ends peacefully.

No comments: