Monday 5 September 2011

Monday 5th September 2011

And Sunday.

And the chance to lay in bed, so, naturally, we are awake with the larks and having breakfast well before half six.

I spend the morning looking through the photographs and listening to stuff off the radio that I missed on Saturday. All outside was sunshine and a fine late summer's day.

The only thing on the 'to do' list was to photograph a steam locomotive come through Dover at just gone two and again at near seven. At the appointed hour I did leave the house with cameras, and indeed the sky was filled with clouds. And as I drove down Whitfield Hill I could see the sheets of rain rolling in over the village of River.

70013 Oliver Cromwell at Kearsney, The Spitfire, 4th September 2011

I met my friend Gary on the station, and we sheltered under an overhanging tree. As is usual the train was late, and we did get damp. Along with all the others on the platform, as I thought we would be the only ones at Kearsney, but there must have been a dozen of us.
And suddenly we heard the whistle and she came storming through the station, at the point when the downpour was the heaviest. I pointed the camera and shot. And then she was gone, all in about 20 seconds, round the corner and on to Dover.

70013 Oliver Cromwell at Kearsney, The Spitfire, 4th September 2011

To be honest it was raining too hard to stay and see the diesel hauled train come back the other way, and so I went home to look at the shots I did get, and then cook Sunday dinner; fresh roast lamb, roast potatoes, fresh steamed vegetables, Yorkshire Puddings and a fresh raspberry jus. Yum.

And finally, we strained our batch of elderberry wine, and decanted the wort, added cold water, set up the airlocks and waited. Not too long as soon it was bubbling away. And is now, so violently is it bubbling that wine is coming out of the airlocks and pebbledashing the kitchen walls with red juice.

It should calm down in a day or two.

We hope.

1 comment:

forkboy said...

The rain didn't spoil the shot. I think it looks pretty cool in the rain.