Monday 24 October 2011

Monday 24th October 2011

None of us are getting any younger, I know that, but from to time, we must face our own mortality. All last week, I have had a pain in my back, and I think it is a flare-up of sciatica. So, on a glorious sunny Saturday, I spend the whole day in and around the house. Not perfect, but I really need to get rid of this pain. So, early on, we head to Tesco, and I buy a couple of boxes of ibuprofen with which to tackle the pain and swelling, and head back home to rest and generally not sit on the hard dining room chairs.
So, I sit on the sofa to finish reading the new Mark Kermode book about the state of modern cinema; always nice to read someone who has such firm views, and views which are probably right.

I listened to the football on the radio, then thought about signing up with ESPN so I could watch the Liverpool v Norwich game which kicked off at half five. The £9 a month would increase the monthly Sky bill to over £66; I baulked, and decided that it was too much. So, I made do with checking the BBC website for score updates whilst we watched Time Team on C4. In a fraught finish, despite being under pressure for most of the game, City equalise through Grant Holt can come away with a hard-earned point and rise to 7th in the table, although that would drop to 8th when Arsenal win on Sunday.

Waldershare Gold

On Sunday morning we head out after I watch the re-run of MOTD so I can see the City goal. We drive the short distance to Waldershare and go for a walk behind the old church. Still no fungi to see, the weather has been so dry, it hardly seems possible. The woodland floor is clear of wild garlic and bluebells, but have been replaced with a carpet of ivy, which contrasts with the leaf litter which has begun to pile up.

IMG_9882

The sunlight shone through the canopy and left dappled light along the path, not a breath of wind stirred the air, all around was filled with a fine golden light and underfoot, chestnuts cracked still in their husks.

Canopy Light

We headed to Deal, as we thought a walk along the beach would be nice. It was better than nice, good in fact. Having no change meant we had to park on the main road, but we only had a short walk to the beach, and then along to the pier. Even though it is the end of October, it was warm enough to have no coat on, and children played in the sand on the beach.

Classic Deal

I took some shots and some sly people watching before we headed back home for an early lunch of mozzarella cheese and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil accompanied by garlic bread and an ice cold beer. Heck, we know how to live!

Then I settled down on the sofa, soon joined by my furry lap warmer, Scully, and we settled down to watch the Manc derby, which became something of a jaw-dropping game in which Citeh trounced Utd 6-1 at the Theatre of Revised Dreams. The victory was total, and City could have scored many, many more.

For dinner we had pie, steak and ale pie with veg and gravy. And then with all the chores completed, we settled down to watch an evening of QI to entertain us.

Deal

No comments: