Monday 21 November 2011

Monday 21st November 2011

And outside it’s a real pea-souper. As Sherlock might have put it. The mist rolled in yesterday afternoon and we, like most of England, have been covered in a thick blanket of fog. Fog is my least favourite weather, well, to drive in, and the idiots really don’t get how dangerous it is, and carry on as if they can see for miles. And end up shunting some poor unsuspecting fellow driver from behind when they can’t stop in time. And then there are those who think lights really are not required. Accidents waiting to happen for the most part. I had a friend whose Father would follow the white lines along the centre of the road; great until you meet someone coming the other way doing the same thing.
Anyway, I am working from home for a couple of days, and then I have two days in London Town when I attend a course. So, All I have to do for Monday and Tuesday is negotiate the stairs to the dining room table, which I can manage.

The Dewdrop Inn, Tower Hamlets, Dover

Today, Monday, a plumber is calling to do some running repairs on our leaking heating system, and tomorrow we are getting a new tumble dryer, which both days calls for someone to be in. So, here I am.

Market Square, Dover

And the to the weekend:

Another weekend, more wall-to-wall sunshine. It was glorious, such a shame then to spend Saturday morning dealing with mundane matter like haircuts and buying birthday/Christmas cards. But, such is life, and I am continuing the theme of trying to be completely ready when the festive period arrives. On our lat trip to Tesco, we bought packs of puff pastry (for sausage rolls) and mincemeat (for mince pies), the meat is ordered, beer, Christmas Cake and sloe gin are all made and ripe for sampling. And last week I ordered and received the calendars and books I ordered through Flickr; so most presents are bought too.

So, Christmas; do your worse.

I dropped Jools off at half eight, and had half an hour to kill, so headed up to Tower Hamlets in Dover to snap a pub; as you do. And then parked up outside the barber’s in order to be there when the doors opened so I could be done with it as soon as possible. As usual, I got my dose of abuse, which seems to be the way, but that’s fine as for £7 I get my barnet mangled and as much abuse as anyone could want.

Dover Castle

And then we got out of Dover as quickly we could and headed back along the cliffs to St Margarets. However, we stopped off at the National Trust place so we could walk on Foxhill Down to take advantage of the fine weather. Fine weather, I hear you cry. Yes, 15 degrees and unbroken sunshine. We walked towards the ponies kept to keep the grass down, and snapped a few with the castle in the background. I like the shot, and the light was fantastic anyway.

Dawn 20th November 2011

And then back home to spend the fine afternoon in front of the TV as Norwich were on TV playing Arsenal. I wish I could say it was a pleasure; City were poor and never really got going, failed to press the ball and it came as a shock when we took the lead. It did not last, and Arsenal came back to score two goals and win the game. In truth, it was men against boys, and the 2-1 scoreline was flattering. Saying that, the difference was Van Persie and the lad Walcott; take them out and there wasn’t much between the teams.

Sunrise

Sigh.

And then lay on the sofa to listen to the rest of the day’s games on the radio whilst the day came to an end outside. Jools went to get fish and chips for dinner, which was a real treat, and then we sat down to watch Yellowstone on BBC. How glorious and wonderfully cold it looked in wnter, and how animals coped with the terrible cold. Makes me want to go all the more of course, snap those geysers and mudpools in the mind-numbing cold.

Time for breakfast

We were up before dawn on Sunday, wrapped up warm and headed down to the cliffs to watch dawn and the sun rise. As we waited, jetliners passed 30,000 feet above, them and their contrails turning from blue to white to gold as they approached the horizon and the light of the rising sun. Seabirds and migrating birds flew around us and there was quiet all over the land.
At 07:17 the sun poked it’s head over the horizon, and made its way up and over the band of clouds that obscured part of the sunrise. Once the light was too bright to look at directly, we headed home for a warming cup of coffee and breakfast.

Danger! Golfers

At 11 my friend Gary came round to take me to Sandwich Bay to look for birds on the beach. I did snap a skylark amongst the pebbles, but not a clear shot. But I was happy enough. The hide at the pond was full, and anyway there were no birds to be seen. We headed back home, along the road that winds through the golf course, passed players dressed in spikes and plus fours, all the world looking like idiots.

The Putt

After lunch, Jools and I went for a quick walk along the lane at the end of our road, just to sample the warm afternoon sunshine and the golden light. Mist was rolling in, and soon the church was hidden from view. Darkness fell and I went into the kitchen as we were having our good friend, Frances, for dinner, and I wanted it to be really goodIt was; roast beef, Yorkishire Puddings, steamed veg and the crispiest of crispy roast potatoes. And fresh onion gravy. All rather wonderful, I have to say.

Country Roads

This week is going to be crazy; two days/one night in London, Jack Dee in Folkestone on Thursday (if my train gets me back from London in time, Ade Edmonson on Friday and Henig When on Saturday. Expect no posts until Sunday at least, and tales of roads paved with gold, and laughs and more laughs when I do.

No comments: