Friday 13 July 2012

Friday 13th July 2012

And so Friday rolls round again.

Phew.

For some reason this week seems to have taken forever to roll round. Quite why this is, I don’t know. Anyway, needless to say, we’re ready for the weekend and so needing a rest after yet another work at the coalface.

In truth, not much has happened this week, other than the usual. The only change for me was on Wednesday when I headed to our site in Whitstable to do an internal audit. I had to leave home at six and pick up a couple of folks in Ramsgate before seven and then head along Thanet Way to Whitstable.

The office sits right at the end of one of the harbour arms, and so has very fine views along the coast and across the Swale to Sheppy and across the Thames estuary to Southend. The light was crystal clear, which comes after several days of rain, and individual buildings could be made out in Southend some miles away. But, I was here to work, and as the light changed and clouds rushed across the sky, I turned round to pay attention to the work of the day.

At lunchtime, I sat at the table in the canteen trying to ignore the selection of cream cakes in the fridge and really looking like I was enjoying the tin of grapefruit segments I was tucking into instead.

Once the work was finished, we got back in the car and headed back to Ramsgate. All around the sky was alive with vigorous cloud formations, and in a few places heavy rain could be seen to be falling. Oh, how I wish I could have stopped to snap the scene. Another day, maybe.

That night the rain hammered down again, and lightning flashed and thunder rattled the windows. I carried on watching the highlights of Le Tour.

Oh yes, Le Tour. As I write this, British riders are currently running first and second in the general classification. That may change when today’s stage end, over 220 km in the alps. Wiggins leads Chris Froome as they decimate the field and ever-increase their lead. Things could change very quickly of course, but it has been an incredible sight, seeing British riders to be so strong and have the tactics to win stage after stage.

Game on.....

Another little titbit of news is that our Paralympic tickets arrived, and so we have something to look forward to, and now just have to arrange train travel up to London on the two days we have the tickets for.

No comments: