Wednesday 18 July 2012

How hard can it be?

Over the past three weeks, the BBC has run a series called 'The Men Who Made us Fat', and the last one was how to choose what is healthier for us to eat.

One of the main thrusts of the last program was the labelling of food, and how it varies. So, knowing that food, fat and sugar can be hidden in our food, we tried to compare how healthy our cereals are. Jools has 'Kellog's 'Raisin Wheats' and I have a mix of Tesco's 'Bran Flakes' and 'Maple Crunch'. So, that should be straighforward, shouldn't it?

Only it wasn't; all three cereals had different servings size, 30, 40 and 50g, so some maths was needed to compare the calories contained in each servings. That two of the boxes were from the same supplier, Tesco, makes this ludicrous. They all could used the 'traffic light' system for labelling, but that would make it far too easy for the customer and we might stop buying unhealthy food.

In the meantime we carry on buying unhealthy food mostly in ignorance.

It seems that each Friday we have a stir-fry; they're healthy, no? well, all them vegetables, seafood and good stuff, some spices and herbs.... Like most people, we buy a stir-fry sauce to flavour it all. So, I look at the sachet and find each sachet contains enough sugar for 82% or a person's daily need. One tiny little sachet; that we usually have two in our stir fry means we are maxing our on our sugar on stir-fry sauce alone! Needless to say, most of the sauce went uneaten and next time I will either be making my own or buying something much more healthy.

Apart from that, I have been back on the cross-trainer for about three weeks now, and really enjoying it again now the initial pain in my muscles has gone. As the weather is not too hot as yet, even exercising in the house ins't too bad either. Today I am going to walk to dover, along the cliffs, as the Olympic Flame is due to come through the town this afternoon. I think I am looking forward to the walk more than the un-necessary razzmatazz and corporate sponsorship that is going to be shoved in our faces all day.

I am going just to take pictures, seeing fire does not make me look on in awe, even if I am from Norfolk.......

No comments: