Monday 25 May 2015

Monday 25th May 2015

Update.

I am back from London. I went up to see Norwich at Wembley. It was a great day, met some old friends, made some new ones City ran out 2=0 winners.

I drank some beer, I shouted and screamed.

We got promoted.

Tomorrow the details, but for tonight, the celebration.

But first, Sunday.

Sunday.

The weather forecast does take a lot of stick at times, but it is increasingly accurate, we are able to plan, or I am able to plan the trips to snap orchids with military precision to make the most of the great light. In light of this, the best of the weather was to be at the start of the day, so it was that after we had a strong of coffee, we loaded up the car, and drove out to Barham.

The site at Barham is little known, and is large with at least three different areas in which orchids can be found. And in fact we have just looked at only two of them, so at some point, if time allows, we will look in the 3rd slope, as we can see at least four large Lady Orchids in view of the road. Who knows what else could be hiding there?

The Orchid Wood

As we could already see thickening cloud sweeping in from the west, I decided that we would go to the main slope first before hunting the Lesser Butterfly Orchids.

The first of the woodland Ladys

The main slope is under mature beech woods, and is now in very deep shade, but there are thousands of orchids in the undergrowth, dozens of Lady, several Fly, but thousands upon thousands of Common Twayblade. I am sure there are spikes of others, but they are not showing as yet. I look through the Lady to try to find a pure white var. alba. And after some searching, I find a couple, including one that had no purple colouration, a green hood and pure white flowers. An amazing sight at an incredible site.

Lady Orchid Orchis Purpurea

We then walked up the bridleway to look for the Lesser Butterfly: the Early Purples were still a wonderful sight, although some are beginning to go over. There was the var. alba, just off the bridleway, still looking stunning. After some searching, we find, or rather Jools finds, seven spikes of the Lesser Butterfly, maybe a week from opening. This is an increase of the two we found last year, that the orchids here are increasing in number is great news.

Lady Orchid Orchis Purpurea var. alba

From Barham it is only a 5 minute drive to the Birds Nest wood: and once there, we find there are dozens of spikes showing, in pretty much the same area as before, but in far greater numbers. And inbetween, the White Helleborines are of an impressive size, and once again, many about a week away from opening.

Lady Orchid Orchis Purpurea var. alba

One final call was the Man Orchid site, just off the A2. On the bank, the lime coloured spikes are in great numbers, with most of the spikes mostly 90% open. Which got me thinking about the yellow Men at Pegwell Bay. A lan began to form for Monday morning.

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera

By now it was half eleven, our stomachs told us it was getting close to lunchtime, so we mix it with the port traffic heading for Dover, we drive home.

After lunch we do a bit of gardening. But by this time, my back was really beginning to scream. It began as we left the house that morning, I had put my shoes on, and was just walking to the kitchen when with no warning my lower back began to throb with pain. I have no idea what caused it, but I did struggle with the orchid snaps, but now, all I was fit for was sitting on the sofa ready to listen to the final Prem games of the season. I say sit, I mean lay down.

Hull were relegated, Newcastle survived, so it goes, so it goes.

I cook roast chicken and all the trimmings for dinner. It is wonderful, well even the smell of it cooking, the anticipation is everything. So, at half six, we sit down to a fine dinner, with wine (and cider). And that is us for the day, well except for the second episode of Jonathon Strange and Mr Morrel. Odd but great stuff.

2 comments:

nztony said...

I saw the promo for Jonathon Strange and Mr Morrel on BBC Iplayer and I agree, it did look a bit strange, so I haven't watched it. I find lots of good stuff on the BBC and ITV players though by changing my computer's "location" to UK, otherwise it won't play here in NZ.

jelltex said...

It is very good indeed. We are hooked, which is unusual.