Tuesday 19 May 2015

Tuesday 19th May 2015

Monday

I have been home for some 5 days now, and it just don't feel right. However, those itchy feet of mine will get a little bit of a workout on Wednesday when I make the short hop to naughty Amsterdam for a couple of days. And that might be, well, not quite my last trip on this project, but maybe my last for a couple of weeks. As Jools asked on Sunday what travel plans I had after this week, I was able to answer, none whatsoever. And that felt good to say that.

But already dark clouds in the shape of not one, not two, but three new projects are on the horizon, each of which will be making claims on my time, and will require me to pack my bags. But before then, just enjoy the calm.

Monday, even for a day at home was looking manic. Over the weekend Jools had arranged things with the insurance company, the repair shop, a car hire place, and the probability was that one or all of them could phone during the day, and I might need to take the car in for the repair. And so this meant Jools had to take public transport, and that meant the 06:07 train from Martin Mill, up before five, feed the cats, have coffee before we had to leave the house at ten to six.

She did catch the train, and I went back home to have breakfast before the first meeting of the day, and stupidly early one at seven, UK time, meant having to be all logged on my ten to seven, all sitting down ready at seven. And so it continued, meeting after meeting after meeting. The garage rung up, booked in for Tuesday, but the car hire place is not a car hire place and was some kind of financial service company, given away by the breathless spiel given at the beginning of the call. And anyway, as Jools registered the car, she had to do all the arranging, so I had to give her the companies the details and I was off the hook. Just left to my meetings.

Outside the sun shone, at least for a while, then the wind began to blow, and that was quickly followed by the rain. The cats stayed in and complained. Or at least I think they complained, they could have been talking about investment opportunities in Bolivia I suppose. Or was that last week?

The day passed, I looked in the freezer for something for dinner, and saw little to inspire me, so it was burgers and beer. Just champion.

I picked up Jools at half five, told her the plan for dinner; oh good, dirty food!

Back home I fried the burgers, Jools poured the beers. And together we made it all vanish.

As we sat and watched the Chelsea Flower Show on TV, a fine young fox ambled into the front garden to munch on peanuts and look at us sat on the sofa as he ate. It was broad daylight, or just beginning to get slightly dark. Amazing.

No comments: