Saturday 27 January 2024

Friday 26th January 2024

A day of extremes. As you will see.

Friday is yoga day for Jools, and again I am getting up as she leaves to go to class. We say goodbye, then I drink my coffee before putting the bins out then getting ready for work.

I have a few loose ends to tie up, so work through the morning, making presentations and writing the notes from Thursday into a report.

Twenty six What an efficient little chap I am when I want to be.

After lunch, and just gone two, I pack up and go for a walk, putting on my boots and grabbing a couple of cameras.

Seed head For some time I have had a sore knee, but kind of ignored it, and after a few steps would fade away.

Usually.

Friday it developed into something a lot more painful. I think I strained or tore a ligament, but pressed on anyway past Fleet House, past the farm and then back along the lower lane past Waters Meet.

An afternoon's hobble Which is when I got into real trouble.

The pain was so bad I could hardly walk for two minutes before having to pause. In the end I sat on a ban and texted Jools to let her know.

Should she come and fetch me?

The lanes are ankle deep with mud in places, so wasn't really an option, but the rest had made it easier, so I did my best and made for home, back up the slope to Collingwood and back home the shortest way.

An afternoon's hobble I could hardly move once back. Jools made a brew while I took my boots off, and then slumped into the office chair.

I was fine. Only, any movement of the leg hurt, and the first step after standing up was like a knife had been driven into my knee.

To make matters worse, we were going out for a meal in the evening, as we're away next week, and Jen and Sylv are heading back up to Bury on Monday, so a chance to say goodbye.

I drove us up to the village, parking beside the church, then I hobbled back to the main road and along to the Smugglers while Jools helped Cath with her Invalid buggy.

Mike brought Jen, Sylv and John, so just before seven we met in the back room of the pub at a large table, and had drinks while checking out the menu.

Beer and gin flowed, as the good food was brought out for us. Jools, Mike and I had their speciality, tournedos rossini, which I had with what was called ribs of corn. Or, in reality, cobs cut in four cooked in spices.

Good though.

We were full, so near to nine, we all left, walking back to the car park, and I driving us back home, where there was time to watch some football and have a nightcap.

My knee was killing me still. And with us supposed to go away on Wednesday to Iceland, with a lot of walking planned.

Oh dear

No comments: