Monday 24 June 2013

Monday 24th June 2013

And the wind did blow some more, and so the orchids would sway one side then sway the other way. But what the heck, let’s go and check them out anyway! The plan was to head to try to find the almost legendary Musk Orchid. Musks are tiny and a bugger to spot, but we like a challenge!

After breakfast we headed out to Folkestone, and then up the Elham Valley to the meadow, where I was told they could be found. Now the meadow is spread over several acres, and the orchid can be just 3cm high and there has been a whole two months of growth from everything else in the meadow, with some being just shy of waist high. In other words, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack, and we came with none of those.

Greater Butterfly Orchid Platanthera chlorantha

However, the meadow was full of other varieties. I mean packed with Common Spotted and Heath Spotted Orchids, thousands of them. It was just a delight just to wander through taking in all the colours and variations within each type. I showed Jools the lone Lady Orchid, which was right at the end of its season. I also found four Fly Orchids, they too were past their best, and was able to show a couple where the Flys were. I did also fail to find the Late Spider which should be able to be found there too. But we did find a couple of Greater butterfly Orchids, standing tall and white against the colour of the grass.

Greater Butterfly Orchid Platanthera chlorantha

And the Musk remained elusive too.

Fragrant Orchid Gymnadenia conopsea

On the way back home we called in to check in on the Birdsnests and White Helliborines, both of which were out, and despite the dark woodland setting, well worth a visit and a try at snapping. Jools had not seen the Birdsnest before, and it was a thrill to be able to show her this unusual and odd looking orchid,. The Helleborines were just out, and looking wonderful in the setting, alough tricky to snap. I got some shots and was happy enough. I believe there are some in the open at Denge, so maybe I should go there on my week off….

Fragrant Orchid Gymnadenia conopsea

Back home for lunch, and then Jools tried to get me to help in the garden. I did some weeding and pruning, which was (barely) better than nothing.

Somehow the day slipped us by, and before we knew it, it was seven and dinner time. Mum called, and she sounds almost back to normal. I laid the law down with her, and said she has to want to change, rather than change just to please others. She did nearly die, a few hours later would have been too late. So, its up to her. I also said she has to give up the cat, as it is cruel that she cannot take it to the vet when it is required. She is going to see if the RSPA can let us take Bowie on, so we will be a four cat household. We shall see….

Alas, this is my last blog for a while. I am off to DK in the morning, and then we have a weekend away, so I won't be back online until Sunday evening at the latest, and maybe Tuesday or even later on next week, we shall see. So no need to worry if there is a lack of Jelltex-related news. All is well, although life is never simple, it keeps throwing curveballs at us.

Anyway, until next week my friends....

No comments: