Monday 25 November 2013

Tuesday 25th November 2013 (part 2)

Wednesday.

And so our time here is running out. Already Wednesday and we have not really seen anything of the forest yet. And today the forecast for, well, rain and lots of it.

Wimborne Minster, Dorset

So, how to fill the hours until the sun was due to shine again? Hmmm. We shall ponder that, and as we do I look out of the cabin window, and see some movement; a Roe Deer. And another. And as I look about half a dozen are wandering through the wood, as casual as you like. One even walks right by the cabin, looks at me, thinks about it and then wanders off in no hurry whatsoever.

Wimborne Minster, Dorset

I decide we should go to Wimborne: another church. But this is a very special one. Wimborne Minster was also featured on Portillo’s show, and so I thought we should go and see for ourselves. It is only a few miles drive, so after a lazy breakfast we set off.

Wimborne Minster, Dorset

As we parked, the rain had not arrived, so we walked to the Minster, and once inside we see we are the first visitors of the day. Or seem to be. I snap away, as I do, getting into the groove in not trying to miss anything. Hanging in the bell tower there seems to be an ancient clock, the hours an minutes marked by the movement of what looks like the earth and sun.

Wimborne Minster, Dorset

Once outside, we head for a coffee, and I go to buy Jools a card for her birthday. In the course of walking back, I see a record shop and end up spending £50 on new vinyl, which was not part of the plan for the day.

We get back to the car as the clouds burst and the rain hammers down. We drive into Bournemouth, as the plan now was to go and see Gravity at the cinema. The sat nav takes us round the houses, but then we were not in a hurry. We find a place to park and I go to find the cinema. Outside I find a few signposts, but none have the cinema marked. So I set off in what I thought was the sensible direction. Which, as it turns out was in the totally wrong direction. I find a German Market, the main shopping area, and all the while the rain gets heavier and heavier.

As the shops peter out, I am soaked and I give up. I find a place to get a haircut, and ask the lady cutting my hair for directions. Turns out the cinema was about 5 minutes from where we parked, and so after paying I set off to find Jools and then we can head to the cinema to buy tickets, and if we have tie, get a bite to eat.

We end up eating in a Japanese place, and it is pretty good, the flavours are stunning, and we were in and out in half an hour and taking our seats with five minutes to spare. Time enough to watch the twenty minutes of ads and previews. Should have had dessert!

The film is good, and very pacy with plenty of suspense. And George gets killed. Again. Oh well. It was getting dark when we come out, and getting very cold indeed. My coat was still damp from earlier, so we decide to head back to the cabin for coffee.

No comments: