Wednesday 4 June 2014

Wednesday 4th June 2014

Monday

And the dawn of what could be an interesting week, as in seven days we should be boarding the big metal bird and hot-footing it to China for a week. I say we, I mean me and my colleague Anni, we should be going, we have booked tickets, we have our visas, we just hope at some point the customer will confirm that they will be there at the same time too. Otherwise there'll be no point in going. I am told confirmation should arrive 'Tuesday'. But which Tuesday?

We shall see. I work from home and soon enough I get back into the swing of things after two days on the sick. I catch up on my mails, and then spend an hour filing all my sent mail into their proper folders. There's tidy.

And the dawn of what could be an interesting week, as in seven days we should be boarding the big metal bird and hot-footing it to China for a week. I say we, I mean me and my colleague Anni, we should be going, we have booked tickets, we have our visas, we just hope at some point the customer will confirm that they will be there at the same time too. Otherwise there'll be no point in going. I am told confirmation should arrive 'Tuesday'. But which Tuesday?

Tuesday

I drop Jools off at B&Q and head to Ramsgate for a day at the office of bizarre rules, or that is how I think of it. I say bizarre rules, it could as well be the office of misplaced objectives: park facing the wrong way and it is a capital crime, but the export cable fails for four months, what the heck! As I only occasionally visit it, nots not a big deal, but shows how one person promoted above his station and ability affects the whole organisation. But still, its not us!

The weather outside is bright, but not sunny, which means i am not sitting at the desk wondering about all the orchid shots I'm missing. And soon enough there is more than enough work to distract my brain and the day fairly rattles along. That is until I come to the dreaded part: travel expenses. Travel expenses are the bane of the modern businessman, or bloke with a suitcase in my, ahem, case. Anyway, I get the software to work, in the end, I have all the receipts to get two weeks done, fire off e mails to those places i have lost, destroyed or forgot where I used the company CC, and hope to finish that on Friday.

Time to leave at the end of the day before the monkeys arrive back on shore, and I'm driving home in the bright sunshine, in such a good mood I'm only going at the speed limit along the Sandwich bypass. There's a change.

I still still feel crappy with the flu or whatever it was, but now it seems my allergy want a piece of the action. I did, however, get nearly ten hours sleep on Sunday night and so feel much less deathlike than I did over the weekend, which is a shame as all that health wasted at work.

We have the builders round to price up some jobs. It's the second lot of work we need doing, as the old place isn't so water-proof as it used to be, and needs sorting out over the summer. Seems like it is going to eat up most of the savings, but then it should be good for years. Lets hope. Never a good sign when a builder whistles through his teeth, and that is when the awful truth of the previous owner's bodge it himself reveals itself and shows that the roof trusses for the prch are, as expected, laying directly onto the frame of the windows. No lintel at all. More money to spend!

So it goes, so it goes.

No comments: