Wednesday 30 March 2016

Wednesday 30th March 2016

Tuesday

100th blog of the year

And back to work

You know what happens if you don't check the volume on the clock radio the night before? It is on silent, somehow, and we both sleep until half six. Needless to say there is a major panic as Jools tries to get everything done; breakfast, make pack lunch, get dressed and so son, before she leaves for work. That she was just ten minutes behind schedule when she left showed that when need be, we can work as a team. That left me home to have breakfast and find the enthusiasm for work, which at least for the second week in a row means I will be working from home. Although the spectre of travel is looming, meaning I have three weeks of travel to plan and book.

At eight I put the computer on, and away we go, on the roller-coaster of a work day. Mails, documents and the such pout into my inbox, I deal with them and bat back.

After demanding more food, all three cats go to bed. Molly only after I make a bed on the chair next to where I am working, and then she can sleep. And sleeps until late in the afternoon. Whilst I work away. Such is life. And outside the sun shines, so I make sure when I have tea breaks, they are taken in the back garden and I can inspect our wonderful flower beds, as more bulbs seem to be sprouting on a daily basis.

From the back door, I see a pair of small birds flitting between a couple of bushes and one of the conifer trees. I had noticed them the night before too, so try to get a shot of them, and when one sat on a branch in the sunshine, I got it. Now comes the fin of the identifying, but with the two tone call, I already suspect it to be a Chiffchaff, which is what they turn out to be. Some of the first migrant songbirds returning to these shores are a winter away somewhere warmer. And it is the first time I have seen or snapped one of the LBJs.

Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita Little Brown Jobs.

The day fades, people in Denmark and Germany finish for the day, and the mails slow to a trickle and then stop. I pack up for the day, and before the heating switches on, go upstairs to do a session on the cross-trainer, which goes well. And I even enjoy it, at least with the music blaring away. Scully watches me from the spare bed through half open eyes, clearly I am keeping her awake.

Outside it clouded up, and the thought of going for a walk seemed less attractive, so by the time Jools came home we are both hungry, and instead of a walk in the country, we opt for the aubergine/pasta salad and beer/cider combination. It seemed the right thing to do.

That evening there was more international football, with England playing Holland. Or The Netherlands as it was billed as. Anyway, after the entertainment from Berlin on Saturday, Wembley was packed, but England never really got going, but despite taking the lead early in the second half, they gave away a silly penalty, then a clear foul of a defender was waved away by the referee and Holland scored the winner. In fact, England played better in the second half, and were not that bad, but a loss is a loss.

Oh well, off to bed. Another day in the morning.

No comments: