Sunday 8 March 2009

Meet the new boss.........

So, come Thursday morning, I was all tense as I was due to travel back in time to the 19th century, back to deepest Suffolk to meet my new boss and all the folks at the HQ of my new employers.

Now, I don't hate Essex, but there is something about Essex drivers; John Peel used to drive round the whole country, which was something. I don't have the time, and for a change decided to head up the A12 to Ipswich before the wormhole in space took me back to the age when men in top hats walked in front of horseless carriages to stop them from going more than 4mph.

All was going well, only a smattering of boy racers to ruin the day and hog the centre lane, but as I wasn't killed or had my life put in danger, I didn't complain. Just north of Ipswich, the good road ran out and speed slowed r i g h t d o w n.......The final 40 miles took the best part of an hour, but soon i was back in lovely Lowestoft, now the unemployment blackspot of Suffolk, and the town where I grew up.

I went to visit one set of my Godparents, only to find time was taking it's toll, and my Godmother was once again repeating the story about Tibbles her cat from years back. Dotage is having to repeat one's past days as if they were yesterday.Sadly, I made my excuses and went to see Mother dearest. Things were staid to say the least, but she still has her marbles, although still pretending to be disabled.

At this point I could go into details, but will spare you this. I pretended not to notice her carrying her zimmer frame instead of it being an aid to walk and the rest of the BS, and we had toad-in-the-hole for dinner. It was fine, but time was running out for bhonamie. I went to see my old neighbour, Dougie, who has a Mother much like mine.We talked photography and trains well into the night, and drunk many cuppas and the such-like, and remarked how his youngest had grown, etc.

Friday, it was into the breech, and meet and greet the folks at the professional organisation that is my new employer. All seems fine, and everyone in a good mood. I met so many new folks and forgot their names right away. I have a small novel of paperwork to read through.

I do have my immidiate plans; back up to Lowestoft next week to help make up some machinery; and then a two or three week gap as said stuff makes its way across europe and the near east; before flying out to Kazakstahn and a six week contract for Shell looking for more oil.

And I am going to be in charge. A several million dollar project will rest on these slopey shoulders. But after more meetings I was free for a weekend back in Kent and so I took the hire car back south down through Suffolk and Essex and onto the M25 and the Friday night car park that is the pre-weekend rush.

No comments: