Wednesday 4 March 2009

This Week

And so my sabbatical is coming to an end.

I am off back up to deepest Suffolk tomorrow evening to meet with the folks at head office and have the microchip embedded in the back of my head. But, the good news is that I will have one last weekend back here before I jet off for location as yet unknown early next week.I must admit to being a little nervous; it's like going to big school all again, and meeting the big kids. But, it should be fine, they did come asking for me after all. And they have been paying me for the past 15 days for little more than sitting on my backside at home.

And, as the head office is in Lowestoft, it means I have no more exuses for not seeing Mother dearest. Some of you will know where don't have the best relationship, but then she is my last blood relation, and me her only child too. So, for an evening I can sit there and bite my lip and do the dutiful son thing before heading back down south.

This has been a fractured week; I have not slept too well, due to thinking about going away again; but then I know it was going to happen sooner or pater, and that at some point I could put it off no longer. For the past three weeks it was fun to pretend the house was ours and we had loads of cash in the bank; but then along comes the first of March and the direct debits kick in and begin the bleed the account dry. In other words, I have to start working.

Monday was Jools' Dad's wife's birthday; if that makes sense; and Tony had decided that day to do a booze cruise to Belgium to stock up on bacca and gin. So, I suggested that Jen and I go out to lunch, which once she remembered that it was her birthday and I wasn't making a pass, she agreed to.What better place to go to than the Woolpack Inn on the Romney Marshes? It's always a pleasant drive down through one of the valleys that lead into dover, and then out along the coast to Dymchurch before heading across the marsh to Brooklands and the Inn itself.

Monday was a glorious early spring day, and the light was just fantastic, and the drive out there in light traffic was just a pleasure. Even better, the car park was half full, and we got a table in the main bar right near the open fire and the sleeping cat beside that. Jen likes black and tan, so i got a half for her and a pint of Spring Chicken, or something silly named over hopped spring ale. It was very nice.The special board proclaimed steak and ale and stilton pie; and it was go great the first time we went, thats what we both ordered. And it was as filling and tasty as before.

Afterwards we took our drinks to the narrow seats in the fireplace, and whilst stoking the contented cat, we stared into the embers. Looking up, I could see right up the straight chimney, although it was choked with centuries of accumilated soot. The sunlight caught the smoke as it rose, and gave the impression of looking back in time.

Fairfield Church, Brooklands, Kent

Before heading back to dover, we went to see the picturesque chuch Jools and I had walked to on that overcast and Freezing Sunday a month back. How different it looked on a bright, sunny spring morning; and just because I could, I took a couple of pictures, and they came out great.

No comments: