Thursday 24 September 2009

Ian is FUBAR

So, halfway through the week, and getting ready for my third shift of the week, when the phone goes, and the message is that I'm not needed that night; so I get a night off.
That sounds all very well, other than my body is already partly adjusted to nights, so I thought i would stay up all night as usual. What could go wrong?

Beer is the answer.

I thought as I was having the night off I could have a beer with dinner. I cooked paprika coated pork steaks with pesto pasta. That was very nice with a bottle of ice cold beer. I sat down on the sofa later to watch the Man Utd game. I thought a small bottle of Speckled Hen would go down nice, and I was right. But, I had forgotten my body clock was wrecked, and so within ten minutes I was fast asleep.

When Jools went up to bed, I followed her to bed and got a great eleven hours. Only that I have another night shift tonight, so that's 21 straight hours awake and then a couple of hours shut eye before trying to get onto a normal sleep pattern for the weekend.

So, here I am, hoping that work will be cancelled tonight so I can be really rested for the weekend, as I am going to meet up with friends when Norwich play up the road from here at Gillingham. Hopefully, a few beers will be supped before the game, only that I am sitting with the home supporters. But, judging by how City are playing right now the chances of us scoring and me celebrating giving me away as being in enemy territory.

In deciding to go to the football, I have therefore chosen not to go to my High School reunion back in Suffolk. The main reason is that partners were not invited, but after driving three hours to north Suffolk to spend an evening with virtual strangers talking about the past does not fill me with glee. And that it would mean staying with Mother dearest and then another three hour drive back on Sunday.

That may be something I will regret, but for now I chose football.

So, this afternoon I have been making more chilli jam; I have discovered chillis called Dorset Nega and they claim to be darned hot; so I put 10 in the three pounds of mix. This will be darn hot. Hopefully, news to follow once it matures around Christmas time.

No comments: