Thursday 17 September 2009

Never go back

Last weekend, we went back to the flat so we could pick some quince so to make jelly. We made some last year and it was so good we really wanted to make a bigger batch; and as Jay who lives there now as tenant is someone we both know, we asked if we could go round and he said yes.

We are the first to admit the flat was not perfect, but it has a great little garden with views over the valley to River, and we loved that view and garden. Round the front of the house, litter was always a problem with the wind blowing sweet wrappers and the like down the steps, but to see months acculilations just sitting there outside the bedroom window was a warning as to what the back of the flat was like.

The grass had not been cut for months, this is because Jay's dog was using it as a toilet; or rather the dig did this because Jay did not take the dog out for walks. Dozens of turds littered the grass, the patio and the steps; many were clearly months old, and the stench was pretty bad.

I could see Julie was shocked, and I was none too happy either. Anyway, we picked 12 pound of fruit and got out; we were quiet in the car, but in the end did talk about it. That we, Jools especially is so keep on our garden, and was back there, we tried to find a reason as to why he would be happy to live in such apparent squalor.

People are people, I guess, but more than that, it showed how far we have moved on, litterally, in the last 6 moths; new house, new life.

I felt the same when I called on my friend James after he had moved in to my house when I moved in with Jools down here; it looked the same from the outside, but inside it was full of his things, he had decorated, it did not feel like my home, although in a way it was. It was just a building.

But, this place, our house in St Margaret's is our home; it's where we want to grow old in, and be happy here.

This week when I have been working nights, Julie has made the quince jelly; she boiled the fruit, strained it and reboiled the liquid and put it in jars. And now we look forward to enjoying it on cheese throughout the winter; but friends are already making enquiries and that of a jar of chilli jam too. Next up it's pickled onions, if I can find a source of good onions. I'll be making diablo ones as usual, for those with a fire-proof stomach.

Let's get pickling!

No comments: