Wednesday 8 December 2010

Wednesday 8th December 2010

Hello and good evening.

The news is, well, I have been busy. Kinda.

For the past three days I have been doing a first aid course, which it turned out was not just a first aid course, but a workplace first aiders course. So I can now add that to my CV, if the need arises of course.

Winter sun

So, we arrived home a week ago from the bright lights and glamour of Manchester and Blackpool for icy winds but no snow. But we did not have to wait long as soon enough it began to fall. I lit the fire as we tried to warm the house up. While outside the drifts began to pile up.

Of course, the British idea of heavy snow may differ from yours, but by the morning there was about 5 inches outside; and a quick look at the main road showed that we would be going no where for a while, or at least until the ploughs arrived. And then there was the factor that more snow was forecast for the afternoon. And so I plugged my work laptop in and set it up, and carried on working as normal. Or as normal as it can be with two kittens jumping up and down.

Friday it looked just about clear enough to try to head into work; first I had to drop Julie off in Dover and then try to get back out of the town, up the many hills. That done, the snow began to fall again, and even on the four lane road to Sandwich there was just the one lane open in each direction, and we tip-toed along at 30 mph, and this continued until I got to Ramsgate and the office.

Work done, I headed back home half an hour or so early, just in case the snow did fall again, and back via Tesco as we tried to get some supplies as at the sight of a flake of snow folks had cleared the shelves of bread and milk.

Once home we heard on the radio that England had failed to win the right to hose the World Cup in eight years time, and Russia winning the right. And then Qatar winning the right to host the 2022 competition. I say won, more likely paid the most money. whatever, it's all leaves a sour taste in the average fan's mouth.

Deal, Kent

With milk and bread and a few other things, it was back home to settle in for a quiet night, and as it turned out, a quiet weekend; as I think we were pooped out by our travels in the past week.

On sundat the rain began to fall at dawn, and soon the rain was melting fast. Snow or now, it was not the weather for travelling, and so we settled in for a quiet day in, and football for me on the TV and radio. The old enemy lost in the televised game Saturday lunchtime, and then City won away at Derby to go fourth. Not a bad day. And then I got a migraine, which left me with the Hobson's choice of going to bed with the lights out; which I did of course.

Sunday, we drove to Deal once the rain stopped; we parked up and walked along the far end of the promenade to where the golf courses start, right to the remains of Sandown Castle. Chilled to the bone, we turned round and walked home and then drove home for lunch and then more football on TV.

And so on.

And then onto Monday and the course: so, instead of heading to Ramsgate, I drive to Folkestone for a nine o'clock start for lectures on injuries and how to fix them. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.

Repeat three times.

It is now Wednesday. And we are still snow free. for now.

No comments: