Sunday 6 February 2011

Sunday 6th February 2011

Another weekend over.

just like that.

Not like that.

As seems the usual way, we began the weekend with a canter around Tesco; or I did, as Jools had not finished for the week. and so as her bus pulled up I was walking to the car with trolley loaded with stuff and ready to go home.

I had forgotten Jools was out that night having a meal with people culled just before Christmas from her factory. So I had bought a chicken and chorizo paella for us, which was too much for me. and so as Jools left for the meal I was cooking egg banjos, fried egg sandwiches to you.

I had, as the day had progressed, that i would like to watch the rugby from Wales; and yet like formula 1, the idea was much better than the experience. And even with England winning I turned it over, watched some Futureama before finding Spike Lee's When the Levee Broke. I had always wanted to watch this, and so I sat down and as the program went on, mistake after mistake after sheer incompetence unfolded. And as always, it is the people who have to deal with it, or die.

So many people died, in America. In America. Whilst the President looked on, and Ms Rice went shopping, Dick went fishing whilst none of them looked at a TV. And when they did, it was too late, civilisation had broken down.

The stories made your heart weep, and I hope that lessons on how city, state and federal levels will work together and who will make the decisions.

Anyways, Saturday, it was the annual Dover winter ales Beer Festival, and something too good to miss.

My friend, Matt, was coming in from Ashford, and so Jools dropped me off in the centre of Dover for me to wait for his train. Once he turned up, we headed to Snargate street for breakfast and to catch up on life, work and all the other things two guys talk about.

Admiralty Pier, Dover

We headed to the old Admiralty Pier, as it was high tide and a gale blowing, just to have a look if the sea was worth snapping. As it turned out the sea was getting up, but was just confused as it was still two hours to high water. We made do with snapping the interior of the pier, at the walkway that took generations of travellers from their trains to ferries and ships. And many soldiers to troop carries to take them to the battlefields of Europe.

CAMRA White Cliffs Winter Ale Festival

And then it was time to head to the town hall for the beers festival. we walked the streets as the wind tried, and succeeded in blowing my hat off, and the rain came down. Once inside the town hall, be bought our glasses, beer tokens and made our first choice of the day and then found a table where some of Matt's friends sat, and soaked up the beer and atmosphere.

Oh, Mr Porter!

So, I had eight half pints of beer, some of them quite strong; and I knew I was at my limit. Matt had to head home, and so I called Jools and arranged to meet at the train station. Matt and I set off back into the wind and rain, and then for him to his train, and me with Jools home and to bed to sleep the afternoon away.

Today; another wet and windy day. We had two friends come over for dinner, and so after bacon butties for breakfast, Jools went out to tidy the garden and I began to cook. I made a huge pan of stew for next week. Although it will probably go in two days, and then prepared the vegetables and meat for dinner.

I made roast beef, Yorkshire Pudding and all the trimmings. And they brought trifle. We had a fine lunch indeed, and my attention was soon wandering as a result of wine and a poor nights sleep last night. I must remember not to have strong coffee and hour before bedtime.

All that is left is the Superbowl; although for the first time in years I will not watch it all, as I am off to work in the morning, not wanting to ask for yet more time off. and it is my team, the Steelers, taking part. well, it won't affect the result if I watch or not, and I'm not going into work with less than two hours sleep!

Next week i am going to have internet free, and so I won't be here until Friday. I have been spending more and more time online, and I think I need a break.

No comments: