Tuesday 3 June 2014

Tuesday 3rd June 2014

Sunday.

And again I was laying awake, unable to breathe well before dawn. Although there was some light in the sky in the east. Thats less than eight hours sleep in two nights, and I felt like crap. Cold dead crap at that. I made a coffee and messed around on the computer. The morning came, the cats came in demanding to be fed.

Once Jools and Simon were up, I made bacon butties and a couple of pots of coffee and the world seemed better. However, I was shattered and I asked if Jools could take Simon to look at the bay and cliffs whilst I tidied up and then had a shower.

It is a fact of life that after a long hot shower life seems much better, and indeed, I once dressed I felt I could, if not beat the world, I would give it a bruising. So I made my way through the jungle that was the back lawn to the shed and get the mower out. I really didn't want to do it, but if it don't get done now then who knows?

So, I cracked on, and by the time they got back I was two thirds done. Simon said he wanted to catch the next train to London, so we said our goodbyes and Jools ran him to the station whilst I finished the lawn. By the time Jools got back, I was just locking the shed back up after finishing. Instead of the well-deserved beer, I made do with a bottle of icy cold water, and felt much, much better.

after lunch we headed out to seek out the beautiful Bee Orchid. I had heard about a colony of them near the sea in East Kent, so we headed off along over-familiar roads. The sun shone from an almost clear blue sky, and there was barely a breath of wind: in other words perfect for some orchid photography.

The location was an abandoned industrial area, now partly reclaimed by nature. From above it looks a mess, but once in amongst the plants and trees you see it is a wonderful ecosystem forming where once money was made. The only was, it was a large site, now where could those orchids be?

Bee Orchid, Ophrys apifera

I thought about it, and saw patches where the vegetation was denser, I walk over, and after some searching I see two spikes, both full of blooms. Just breathtaking in the afternoon sunshine. I call Jools over, and she points out two massive Marsh Orchids which she had found. In trying to find the two spikes, I come across an area of grass, and there were at least 20 spikes, all jammed full of blooms.

Southern marsh orchid, Dactylorhiza praetermissa

We got down to getting our shots, through the macro lens they looked magnificent, I hoped that the shots were as good as I was seeing as I took them.

Bee Orchid, Ophrys apifera

We headed back to the car, getting an ice cream from a kiosk, and as entertainment watched as some East Europeans had but an instant BBQ into a bin, and then watch as the rubbish caught fire. The poor people in the kiosk only had buckets of water, so they had to put out the fire.

Bee Orchid, Ophrys apifera

Back home I cook roast lamb for dinner, which was wonderful, but I stay away from the wine and have elderflower presse instead. There's exotic!

Time then to look at my shots before it was time for bed well before dark. Not at all rock and roll.

No comments: