Wednesday 18 June 2014

Wednesday 18th June 2014

Monday.

It became clear at four o'clcok in the morning that the jet lag was serious about messing with my head. I lay there, trying to get back to sleep, but sleep would not come. I got up and was ready for work, all sorted out before seven. Although, I was working from home, as our little car had to go in the garage for a service as we are on our travels later in the week.

I switched on the computer to find not the landslide of e mails I had been expecting, however, it did take a couple of hours to sort through. Jools headed off in the car at eight for the garage and to do some chores in town, and I carried on working.

By lunchtime, Jools was back, but the jet lag had now morphed into a major headache. I looked at the computer, the picture swirled, I gave up, turned it off and went to bed, although sleep would not come. I lay on bed listening to the birds outside. The pain in my head passed.

I wrote off the rest of the day, had a shower, and fell asleep on the sofa with the world cup blaring away on TV.

Tuesday.

And off to work in Ramsgate. My, its been some time, or so it seemed. The monkeys had been given the day off as the wind was set in the north, and so waves were battering the windfarm. i set up y computer on Pete's desk and worked away. Outside, rain fell in a light drizzle, which does make the thought of being at work acceptable.

I have a stack of things to do, planning a trip around Europe from the end of the month. Getting confirmations on visits here and there, then trying to agree on flight details, hotels and the such. The mundanity of work makes it seem the spice of the trip last week an age ago.

I get home in time to take my place on the sofa ready for the first game of the day. This is how it is supposed to be, but just not enough time in the day for all the radio listening and photo-editing that I feel need to be done.

Wednesday.

I suppose, bit by bit, I have clawed the sleep my body it feels the sandman owes it. I must have got eight more last night, and do feel slightly human. Maybe even a living one!

Jools drops me off at work, and I try to finish up all the arranging and paperwork before the end of the day, as from tomorrow we are off on our holibobs. Anyway, more about that in a bit.

The day passes, I manage to speak to everyone I need to, I send a torrent of e mails to all sorts of people, maybe even some will get read. Stranger things have happened. Out in the Channel, the wind has stopped blowing, and the monkeys are called in. I ring Jools to come and pick me up in case they don't go offshore.

As it turned out, as Jools arrives, the monkeys are loading up the truck to head to the quay. But its too late, I'm outta there. We head home, and I have just enough time to set up my computer before yet another meeting is about to begin. I finish up at half four, just in time for the beginning of the first game of the day, Australia v Holland, which is wonderful and Holland scrape a 3-2 win. We pack, sort stuff out inbetween the football. We are away in the morning, and so service might be interuppted again for a week or so, you have been warned. Tie for a break.

No comments: