Saturday 3 September 2022

Friday 2nd September 2022

Last winter one of my wisdom teet fractured.

I did nothing about it.

Last month the matching on in my lower jab also fractured.

THe second on fractured all the way to the gum line, the enamel brok off.

That left jagged edges at all angles.

But there was no pain. However. Had to be fixed.

And being the way of things, you can't just call the dentist and say I need a filling can you fix it? Sure, come in tomorrow and I'll fx it.

No, you must book and inspection, they must inspect every tooth, take x-rays, and the dentst can tel you:

"you need two fillings".

Come back in a month.

Or three weeks. Anyway, time was up yesterday, so I had to be there at two for some modern dentstry.

Before then: work, putting the bins out and trying not to scream too often in frustration. We had a department meeting. How best to describe the mess I am responsible for? We are at a decision point, opinions differ.

Two hundred and forty five I put myself back on mute. And the meeting continues.

The working day ends at one, as I had to pack away, clean my teeth, nice and clean, use mouth wash and be ready for when Jools came back home. A quick change for her, and straight out down town.

Celebrity Apex Jools dropped me outside the dentst, but I had half an hour to kill, so I go to look at the new stuff in Market Square. Seems to be smoking rings, not reference to a hot curry, but what else, I know not. The smoke is water vapour, which in a drought seems wasteful.

The rings of power Children love it, adults less so.

I take shots.

Then it was torture time.

I walk to the door, then up the stairs, at the door the smiling dentist is waiting. The tools of his trade arranged on a tray beside the chair behind him.

He is very good.

Between his work, we talk of the Dutch East India Company, spices, the Boer War, the Glorious Revolution. He seemed really sad when he had finished the filling, but did say, we will carry on when you come back. As the hour appointment was only long enough for one filling. Back in six weeks.

The Wedge Jools takes me back home, then she drives back to town to go swimming in the harbour. I sit in the cool inside as I wait for the numing injection to wear off.

Jools returns. We have a brew.

Somehow it is five, and in an hour its time for the music quiz.

The first clue is Warren Beaty in "Shampoo". I try to think of a music link, and come up with Madonna.

By the 5th clue I realise the answer was Dexy's. Only allowed one guess now, so no points for me again this week.

We drive to Jen's where she has prepared mince and mushroom pie with peas and gravy. Hearty food, and filling.

We play cards. Jen wins.

It was ten to nine, to much protests, we say we'll leave, but next week be there for four for a full evening.

No comments: