Saturday 17 January 2015

Saturday 17th January 2015

For the first time in ages, I did not write whilst on my travels, so now that I am back home, I will have to remember all the stuff I did, which was mainly travel, work, sleep. But there was a little time free for photography and beer and food.

Thursday.

It is hard to know what to do with the three hours I had before it was time to leave the house. But, after packing, having a shower, and all the other stuff needed to be done, nine o'clock came round, I called a taxi company to take me to Dover Priory, only for him to arrive half an hour early, so I could have almost caught the earlier train, not that I would have got to Hamburg any earlier of course.

I take a seat on the station, switch on the work phone and check mails. Not as bad as it could have been, but I bounce a few mails back, and touch base with my manager, and all is well. The train arrives, all full at the front, but loads of seats at the back. I lean back, look out of the window as we travel along the coast to Folkestone and beyond, the sea on the left. Would be nice to stay home for more than a couple of days.....

Dover Priory

As I was flying out of Heathrow, I get a different trip today, travelling to the end of the line at St Pancras, then having the choice of either a 15 quid taxi ride to Paddington, or take the Tube. I thought, as I had so much time, I would take the tube. In the end it was just half a dozen stops, so no worries, even with my two cases. We pass through Great Portland Street, and I realise its Baker Street next, and a place I had been wanting to snap for ages.

Winding my way down Baker Street. Station.

So, with three hours before take off, I spare 5 minutes, get off to take some shots, but as I have only a compact with me, the shots are not so good, but good enough for me to realise how good they could be with the DSLRs... I get on the next train, two more stops to Paddington, then instead of a mad dash across the station, I amble over, taking shots from the footbridge of the trains below. I was hungry, what to have for lunch? My stomach said it wanted a Cornish Pasty, well, thing is most stations have at least one pasty stall now. Indeed, I spy one at the back of the station, and four quid buys me a large beef one, big enough for my appetite. I take me, my cases and the pasty to the train to Heathrow, settle down in a window seat and munch, munch away. Yum.

Heathrow

Off we speed, on what has to be the most expensive train ride on BR, £34 for a return ticket, there are cheaper options which take longer, much longer. Not treating people well is it?

At Heathrow, I am prepared for the worst, travelling from Terminal 2, which from memory was a horrible place, but to my spurprise it seems to have been rebuilt, is all glass and steel, and for the traveller is a delight: checking in takes a couple of minutes, as does security, and then I have two hours to kill before the flight.

I find a pub, so buy a pint and settle down to check on Flickr as my account climbs towards the ten million views. I get to see the moment, take a screen shot and post it back to Flickr before my flight is called. I saunter down to find chaos, as the computer system had failed, so no seats were allocated, and the rest of the passengers were trying to get the seats they wanted. Only to find out the computer had already allocated us our seats, so we had to take what we were given.

ten million

And yet, the flight was only half full, so once all passengers were on board, I leave my seat to an empty row, take a window seat and close my eyes as preparations were made for take off. I normally fly on a turboprop, which means sitting so close to the propellers, and the noise is quite loud, so to me on a modern jet, even as we accelerate down the runway, there is little noise, only the shaking of the wings gives away the thrust being used.

Flight time is just an hour, I am given a sandwich, a coffee, which is all very nice. I am flying with German Wings, I am guessing some kind of low cost airline, but the plane is fairly new, the staff friendly. What more can you want?

It is dark and raining when we arrive in Hamburg, and it being just before six means that I will have to drive to Lubeck in the rush hour. In the rain. Won't be pleasant.

As you would expect, the arrival is efficient, through immigration, baggage reclaim and customs in a few minutes. My car reservation is good, so I am out to the garage in a few more minutes. The sat nav picks up a signal once I am on the road, so off we go. Now, I don't know much about the road network in Hamburg, but I have to drive 8 miles through the outskirts of the city, through thick, but patient traffic. I pass through shopping areas, bus stations, U Bahn stations before, suddenly, the traffic clears and I have arrived at the autobahn.

If driving through the city in heavy rain and traffic was bad, the autobahn is ten times worse, as high powered BMWs and Mercs and Audis hammer by: I take my time, concentrating hard as I make my way towards the hotel. As before, the sat nav thinks the best way to the hotel is through narrow residential streets, which always causes me to doubt if I have entered the correct address. But suddenly, I recognise the area, and the Holiday Inn was right around the corner, it had empty parking spaces, so park up, get my luggage out to check in.

I get a warm welcome, I even remember some of the staff. So, I go to my room, freshen up then go to the restaurant for dinner and a beer: deer goulash, which might be better described as venison, as the idea of Bambi being butchered for spicy stew is not nice, even if it is the truth....

Friday.

And so to work.

Oh deep joy.

At least I know the way, and what is required, just hope that the unknown factor, the customer is happy.

So, after breakfast I drive the 8 miles to the factory, I even have the change for the toll in the tunnel under the river. I am met at the door to the factory, so lets get it done.

I had expected the day to last until well into the evening, but it goes so well we wrap up just after lunch, and so I have two hours of daylight to use! A quick dash back to the hotel to dump my work gear and pick up my camera, and off I go in the glory of my safety workwear, looking for all the world like Mr Health and Safety as I wander off towards the old town.

At least the hotel is near one of the main gates into the old town, across the river and onto the main square. Obviously, it is less crowded than it was in July, but still a lovely place, jammed full of churches and old buildings. Last time I visited two of the larger churches, and I thought I saw another one on the other side of the island. So, it was that church I was making for.

That and the marzipan salon!

A couple of friends on Flickr said I had to try the marzipan cake, and as I found the place the last time I was there, even as it closed for the day, the hardest decision was to whether have the cake before or after I find the church.

In the end I go to find the church first, and it is just 5 minutes beyond the marzipan salon. St Petri is under restoration, or so it seems, or maybe its now just a venue for arts, but the body of the church was closed, all was red floor tiles and whitewashed walls. However, you could get to the tower, and after paying €3, I find there is a lift to the top. I have the place to myself, and all around the city is bathed in late afternoon sunshine, giving everything a warm glow. I take shots, lots of shots. Until the batteries fail.

Lübeck skyline

So, down I go, back to the streets, to find a shop selling batteries. And there was a slice of cake with my name on it.

Marzipan Torte und kaffe

Café Niederegger is an institution, making marzipan, and becoming a national and international name. Being winter, it is almost empty, so I ask what is the best thing to have: a slice of cake is presented to me, so I have a coffee too, and take that along with me in my grubby workwear to a table in the corner of the plush room to feast on sugar.

Only, it wasn't that sugary, which was good for my not very sweet tooth, the cake is filled with fresh whipped cream, and is very nice. And for five euros, not bad value either.

Darkness was now falling, so as I had a stupid early start in the morning, I walk back to the hotel so to have an early dinner and relax. I find a record shop on the way back, and end up with two more twelve inches of vinyl, better leave now before I spend more money I think.

I have burger and fries for dinner, along with more dark beer. But the burger is hand-made, and is great.

No comments: