Saturday 2 April 2016

Saturday 2nd April 2016

Friday

April Fools Day

The new month began with clear blue skies, and the sun climbing into the sky, already feeling warm. Spring must be here, surely? It feels like it anyway, and the garden is becoming a riot of colour and the air heavy with the scent of the spring bulbs.

I have a list of tasks to do before the day is done, then the weekend can begin with no worries. So, best get on with it, once the first cup of coffee.

April walk When the sun shows over the other side of the valley, it casts long shadows over the frosty ground. I spot a man walking his dog over the fields, matched in his steps by his shadow. I dash downstairs, grab my camera and change the lens, run back upstairs to get a shot or two. It was worth it.

When ploughs go bad It seems that some of the bulbs, the Fritillaria imperialis in particular, seem to be getting taller as you look at them, amazing, and I think some of the scent is already coming from them. I am followed by both Molly and Mulder as I inspect the six new beds, Molly thinks its fine to sit in the beds; I tell her otherwise, and she ignores me and corries on sitting there, looking cute.

During lunch, I take my camera out to snap the hyacinths, the pale yellow ones look like art, in the way the flowers are curved. Some of the tiny flowers have a tiny beetle inside, they get snapped too.

Yellow I have a meeting at two, and once that is done, I fire off the last of the mails and I am done. I go into the garden to read more of The Spy... only for Jools to return home at half three, laden with bars of chocolate. So, it only seems fair that I make a coffee and we sit outside to eat and drink.

At half five she goes out to collect fish and chips, I know I should do some work on the cross-trainer, but don't. Neither have we gone out for a walk either. We will try to do better in the weeks to come.

Needless to say, the fish and chips are great, especially as they only had large fish, so the cod overhangs the plate on both side, all in golden batter. Lovely.

Outside, it clouds over, so we tidy up then wait for some more 80s magic on TOTP: The Vapors, REO Speedwagon, Stevie Wonder, Abba, Kim Wilde, The Undertones, Duran Duran and Shakin' Stevens at number 1. Yes, the former milkman form Cardiff had become a star all thanks to his Elvis impression.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, I hope you dont mind me leaving a comment on here but been trying to find some contact details for you. I have seen one of your photos on Flickr of the Black Lion pub in Appledore, which will be perfect for a friends birthday present (the landlord of the pub). I am aware you dont allow downloading for commercial purposes but was wondering if it was at all possible to obtain a copy of this photo please? My email address is sueward26@btinternet.com, if you were able to help I would really appreciate it, the photo would be perfect. Many thanks, Sue

jelltex said...

Hi Sue, trying to find it in my stream. If I do will send you it.

jelltex said...

If you don't get them, I will have to resend lower res copies

Harriet said...

Slightly repeating what Sue above has said as I couldn't find contact details so here I am. I found your photograph of Dover priory gatehouse https://www.flickr.com/photos/jelltecks/6141340082 via google images and would like to use it.

I'm finishing a PhD on medieval monastic gatehouses and would like to include your image (not for profit obviously. Not even being published). However I want to cite you as something clearer than "Jelltex", hence the desire to get in contact!

jelltex said...

Harriet, If you go to Flickr, on my profile page, there is my primary e mail addy listed.

If you would like to supply me with you e mail address, then I can send it onto you as I did with Sue.

Many thanks,

Ian