Thursday 5 February 2009

I know you got Sole

A gloomy, grey Thursday in East Kent. With the tribulations of the pat few weeks with not knowing about whether we would be buying the house on the cliffs, or not, I had neglected Jools' Nan. And so today, I took her out for a drive and a meal.

After a quick visit to the farmer's market and a quick purchase of some large field mushrooms for the steak on Saturday night, it was a short drive to pick Nan up. She was already waiting, just thrilled really to be going out.We headed north towards Preston and the butcher and game dealer that we use. It's a while out of our way really, but the meat and service is so good, and the drive out there is so pleasant, I don't mind going.

On the way I filled in Nan about all our news and plans. It was all really rather pleasant. I picked up two thick steaks, some beef sausages laced with red wine and sage as well as some chicken thighs; and ordered two racks of lamb for next Thursday, and what I hope to our celebration meal in our new home.

A couple of days ago I went to the British Red Cross shop to buy a dining room table and chairs, as it was the best one we had seen anywhere; not that shopping really is our thing, but it looks rustic enough to make us both happy. Anyway, we will be eating herb encrusted rack of lamb along with a bottle of red or rose in a week.

We headed off then to Ramsgate; the weather which for a while had looked as though the sun was going to break through the clouds, but in time the rain came down, and it got quite dark. The marina filled with yachts did not look to inviting, and the steet cafes looked like they were doing worse business than last week when the sun actually shone.

I decided that we would go to the old inn where Jools and I went on Sunday; this involved a drive through the Kentish countryside through Canterbury and Ashford before stiking out across the Romeny marsh.Nan loved going through Canterbury, the cathedral towered over all other buildings; for me the traffic was bad enough I had to be watching my mirrors for rougue drivers and lane jumpers.

South of Canterbury, the traffic thinned out, and even with the rain it got all the more pleasant again, and our conversation flowed, and Nan told me of days gone past and holidays or friends she knew in the villages we passed through.

The Woolpack Inn.

The Woolpack was a little emptier than on Sunday, and we took up the same table that Jools and I occupied on Sunday, and a quick look at the menu we boith chose Dover Sole.

Dover Sole is a quite rare flat fish, famed for its buttery taste and crumbly texture. I can confirm that this is indeed the case, and was well worth paying the premium, and a dish that Nan had not had for many years, and that I was happy enough to share that with her made her quite happy. As we sat there, wood, sorry logs, sorry chunks of tree were thrown on the open fire; farmers swapped stories and walkers told tales of wildlife seen. Nan and I just sat there and took the scene in.

Nan went home happy, and me back her to open the letter confirming all details of the purchase of the house have been completed, bills have been payed and solicitor happy.

As are we.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

You've been nominated:

http://embrasures.blogspot.com/2009/02/sincere-thanks-to-patrice-for-sending.html