Friday 10 July 2009

Let down gently

A short post today.

We have been ill this week; quite ill. Monday night Jools was very ill, and a few hours later so did I. We think it was a virus, we'll never know really, but I was washed out for 48 hours to be honest, and Jools bravely went back to work on Wednesday; quite where she found the strength I don't know.

In the middle of all the sickness, I got a call from the exploration company to say their client had chosen those for the job and myself and my friend, Dick, were not on the list. I felt so crap it hardly registered. I am still waiting to hear from a few other places, and they said there is another job in Oman coming up; they'll let me know.

I walked into Deal yesterday, and back. 13 miles all along the cliffs. It was very nice in the warm sunshine, passing other walkers, a word of greeting. Orchids are everywhere this year, and as I have done this walk and others since January I have seen the cliffs turn from cold grasslands into wild flower heaven. It is joyous to see the riot of colours up there.

One disturbing moment up there is when I passed Kingsdown golf club; pastel coloured Pringle knitwear! Is it really necessary? The ladies were the worst in matching pink shorts and tanktops; and after a round sit down outside the 19th for Pimms or G&Ts.

Deal is a delight; it has two Tudor castles; one more a fortified house, but the other, Deal, a wonder of circles on circles right on the beach. We have yet to visit it, but will do soon. I was parched and found a pub open at half ten, and treated myself to a pint of ale before heading to WH Smiths to buy a magazine, that wasn't in, before heading back home.

It got out warm, and going was tough as I neared St Margarets again; I called in at Bluebirds for a cold drink and a sit down before the final push home and the relief to take the walking shoes off and climb in the shower.

I am off to the north tomorrow; to meet up with people I met on Flickr. I have bought cheap train tickets, and am sharing a hotel room with someone I barely know from Norway. We meet in a hotel bar at 5 on Saturday for who knows what, but it should be fun before heading back home on Sunday morning.

Toodle pip, and see you soon.

No comments: