Thursday 16 July 2009

Some days

Some days are good, some are bad. Thing is when we get up we don't really know which one we're gonna have. It's the finding out part that is called life.

Take today; well, I kinda knew that it was going to be a quite good day as I had to head up to Ashford to go to an agency and fill out endless paperwork. I had done this at another one two days ago. Thing is, this time, I had been told there might be a job.

So, I dropped Jools off at work and headed up the M20 to Ashford. I had never been into the town centre there before, and I can now see why everyone argues not to. Ashford is a soulless new town, all shopping centres (malls) and strip malls. Not quite like in the US, but getting that way. I love the way the road signs just stop for no reason halfway to where you're going.

Anyway, I find the car park, and right outside the door to the mall is where I want to go; the agency. And I fill in form after form, and answer questions like; are you British? Can you work in England?

And then onto the bottling plant where it will be my job to move one pallet of fizzy pop to another place, probably without breaking a bottle. I had to pass a test, round and round the fork lift truck went. Up and down the fork took a pallet. Round and round went the truck. Well done says the guy, we'll let you know when you can start.

As usual, the weather forecast is wildly wrong; no rain and clouds, just endless blue sky and lovely, and so ideal barbecue weather. So, I will end this day as employed and sitting in the garden munching on carbonised burgers drinking cold beer.

I believe it's one of them good days.

No comments: