Friday 31 July 2009

Welcome to the working week. Again.

And so, to work.

In the past three weeks I have been kept on tenderhooks by several job agencies; after promises of work and riches, this has been followed by nothing other than silence. And so I went from agency to agency, filling out form after form, clearing my schedule in preparation for work, doing fork lift driving tests, and generally fretting myself as to whether the phone is going to ring or not.

My sister-in-law works in the same place as Jools, and she is the QA manager; they need someone to oversee production at night; would I like to do it? Yes!

And so to another agency, this time telling them that a request would be coming for them to employ me from their client. I attended an induction where I felt like myself and the inductor had 90% of the braincells in the room. Oh well. And really that was it.

Other than to tackle the rules that run the DHSS or whatever they call themselves these days; Jobcentre plus or something. I have been off work for three months and I had to attend an interview yesterday about things to do to improve my chances of finding work; a jet powered interwbz maybe? Or getting companies really to recruit might help.
Anyways, I go in and explain that I am to start work on Monday morning and so the interview is not needed as it will be wasting their and my time. 'If you want to continue the claim to Sunday evening you must attend the interview, otherwise your claim will be terminated today.'

So, saving an hour of my life I decided to forgo the interview and four days benefit and use that time to take Jools' Nan out for the morning, have lunch out and generally spend some time with her while I can.

Whilst out with Nan I get a text message from my friend, Dick. He just had an interview with a bomb disposal company in Rochester, and they are planning in expanding into sea surveys.

Can you see where this is leading?

I knew about this and had sent in a letter and CV; in three days I heard nothing. Turns out they were waiting to see what Dick was like and seeing that I have just about the same experience seemingly are going to offer me a job as well. When I got home there was a call waiting, I send off my CV again, he calls back, we can do business.

So, choices, choices.

After nothing for three months, two in a day.

Anyways, I am starting the QA job on Monday to see how that goes and then go for an interview with the bomb disposal place; and a survey engineer not as someone who will doing the defusing I stress.

And so, on this bright and sunny Friday, I am going to be spending it relaxing, watching cricket, internetting and baking some saffron buns this afternoon. And then a pub quiz and beer and whiskey and much mucking around this evening.

No comments: