Sunday 17 April 2011

Sunday 17th April 2011

I will begin with a look back.

15 years ago today, my Father died. Nothing amazing about that, time passes and in truth I had to look at the calendar for April 1996 to be sure of the exact date.

He was cycling home from work, got off to walk up the slight hill over the bridge at Oulton Broad, and in the word of the paramedic on scene, his heart just ran out of steam. He felt no pain, he fell to the ground dying.

For the rest of us, of course, there was the shock. I was stationed in Germany at the time and the Orderly Officer and Duty SNCO came knocking on my door. I thought it was my Grandfather's time, but no, worse than that. Although, fate dealt me a hand which meant that Granddad passed away three days later. Yes, three days later. My blood relatives went in total from five to three just like that.

In my 15 years in the RAF, this was the only occasion that the organisation worked; a seat on the VIP flight from Bruggen into London the next morning, an MT car on the runway to take me to my Mother's and a bucket load of understanding from Insworth.

But, life goes on, and as the adage goes, time heals. Hardly a day goes by when i don't think of him, so I don't think of him more or less on the 17th april. I still miss him and regret I will never have the chance for one talk to clear the air, find out what I should do.

But, I have a lifetime of his and my Mother's teachings and instructions, so I should do fine.

So, in my last blog i left me in a grim airport hotel at Billund in Denmark. Could it have been really that bad?

Yes.

Thing about hotels at airports is that there is never quiet. Flights in and out until late and then warming aircraft up from five. I was lucky I got any sleep at all, really.
The hotel did no food and so I had to walk to the terminal building and get something there. Something was burger and fries and another 0.75l Easter beer. I walked back to the room, listened to the radio on the computer and went to bed with earplugs in.

I was awake again before five, as the aircraft had their engines warmed up and light began to show over the horizon. At seven I went down for breakfast and had a roll with chocolate spread and lots of coffee.

I packed and walked to the departure lounge, checked in, got my boarding card and sat in the cafe after walking through security to read some more.

The charge for the gate began at 10:15, but I had priority boarding and so had the choice of seats. Five minutes later everyone else got on board and got what seats they could.

Rape seed plant.

I had a window seat and so watched as we taxied and took off; we climbed and banked and then flew along the coast towards Holland with the wide sandy beaches and seaside towns way below us. It was glorious, even if you could block out the constant selling the crew were trying to impose on us passengers.

We landed at Stansted; London Stansted, so near London it takes nearly and hour by train to reach Liverpool Street. I already had my ticket, and got an empty carriage, but it soon filled up with people from my flight, all chattering away in danish about heading to London.

Sadly, for a first experience of England, the Stansted Express is a grim one; tired trains, crowded, no room for luggage and seats so small and close together so not to be comfortable at all and had me wishing i was back on the Ryanair flight.

I got off at Tottenham Hale and caught the tube to St Pancras, and 15 minutes later the Javelin was whisking me under the London streets out into Essex and then into Kent and home.

Jools was waiting for me, and took me home where i proceeded to relax, make myself a huge cup of coffee and begin the weekend in earnest.

Come in No. 77, etc.

That night, Norwich were on TV, playing Nottingham Forest; it was a nervy game, but City ran out 2-1 winners which meant the weekend was relatively stress-free as we could sit andlisten to others' scores knowing our work had been done.

YAY.

Saturday dawned bright but with some high cloud. we decided to head to the Isle of Sheppy for a walk in the spring sunshine, and so headed off before nine and headed out into the holiday traffic.

Our first call was a secluded wood near here where we knew the wild garlic should been nearly in bloom. As I feared they are about a week away from being glorious, but then there is always next week, isn't there?

Once on the Isle the traffic thinned, and we took the narrow track over the marsh towards Harty. The fields were alive with colour as the rape seed was out in bloom. we stopped at a viewing point to watch Marsh Harriers swoop for prey, before driving on to the church and where our walk would begin.

Wild Garlic

We walked down the lane to the path, dodging tractors pulling carts of slurry to put onto the fields. A nice country smell could be detected!

To the dark side you have gone, my young Padowan.

And then onto the sea-defences and looking at the insects already out looking for food so early in the year. I took a few shots and got some good 'uns, before we realised it was nearly midday and time for lunch.

we walked to the ferry Inn and ordered ploughman's, or as they called them, ferrymen's, and sat down outside to catch the last of the sun as the clouds bubbled up just as foretasted.

Pollen season time again

On the way home we went to a bathroom showroom as we may just be having some work done in June, and we wanted to see what our meagre savings might buy.

And then back home for more coffee and relaxation before thinking about dinner of fresh bread and the left over cheese from my strip to Holland the week before.

And today we headed off back to Kings wood near Challock to look at the bluebells again. It was a wonderful spring day; clear blue skies and lots of sunshine. we walked for an hour and a half, but the bluebells were not quite at their best yet, and so another trip next week will be required.

We stopped off at Wye for a loaf of bread, ice cream and a drink. That done we headed up the chalk downs for what we thought would be fine views over the low lying land. Sadly, our route was blocked, so we took the first clear turning and headed into unknown villages, passing new churches and pubs. I don't know why I did not stop to photograph, but there is always next week isn't there?

Kings Wood, Challock

and that is it; back to work on the morrow, for four days anyway until it is Easter and the first of two four day weekends!

Bring it on!!

No comments: