Monday 2 January 2012

Monday 2nd January 2012

Good afternoon and welcome to the future. Each time I look as each year passes I expect to have the silver suit and rocket pack ; one year.

So, 2012 is to be the Olympic year, when the building site at Stratford will be finished and all the world's best athletes will descend on East London for two weeks of world class sport. and then a few weeks later the Paralympic games will take place soon.
I guess we all hope that it all passes off without serious indecent and is a success. Each time we go to London, we pass right by the Olympic park, and have watched as it has grown up from the industrial wasteland that was there before.

Anyway, such thoughts are for another day, but the opening ceremony is getting closer each day, of course.

So, New Years eve; we sat in, played Scrabble, and at eleven turned on the TV to watch Jools do his stuff. At midnight I had a glass of Vino Santos, so I toasted the new year in, and we headed to bed.

Now serving fruit-flavoured mealworms

We slept late, something which as the holiday has progressed we have got better at, until gone eight o'clock; how roack and roll is that? I cam down and put the grill on to make the last of the festive bacon sarnies. I put the coffee pot on the stove, and soon the house was full of the wonderful smell of breakfast.
Outside, it was grey and drizzley again, and soon the rain began to fall harder and harder.
we sat inside, watching the rain. I have bought some mealworms for the birds to feast upon, and so whilst the football played on TV, I sat on the sofa near the window so I could take photos; and I got some shots of a robin looking very happy with the food on the table. Even with the terrible light, I still got some shots, which I will post here at some point.

South Foreland

I baked sausage rolls for dinner, and so we had them fresh out of the oven along with a pint of porter for me. A nice lazy way to end the day on.

Today, Monday, another bank holiday, is one of those glorious sunny winter days we dream of, and so we headed out for the cliffs for a walk. We parked by the lighthouse at south Foreland, and set out up the narrow footpath for the cliff edge.

Wild is the wind

France could be seen on the horizon, with a couple of ferries scuttling back and forth. The clear blue sky contrasted with the bright green of the grass, and in the strong sunlight, I hope made for fine shots. I crawled to the edge of the cliffs a couple of times and got shots looking straight down to the beach way below.

there were many people out, enjoying the day, walking or running long the cliffs. How lucky we are to have this as our neighbourhood. Once back at the car, we headed back home, put the kettle on and tucked into the remainder of the sausage rolls.

One other thing we have done, is to order a cross-trainer, as we both have decided to tackle our waistlines with a little phys. I will keep you up to day how that goes in the year ahead.

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

that robin seems to be smiling!