Monday 8 October 2012

Monday 8th October 2012

Good morning, and welcome to the sick house.

I had hoped that my days of being sick with the flu were behind me as I had quite a good week last week, I even managed two sessions on the cross trainer as well. But, during Saturday night I began to get congested, I woke up sometime in the wee small hours wheezing like an old bloke.

And by daylight I was sneezing uncontrollably and the snot tap in my nose had been turned fully on. Coupled with the inability to breathe through my nose once again, I felt like crap. I thought that maybe some fresh air might help, and as it was a glorious day that our planned walk down the cliffs to Langdon Beach might still be a good idea.

Langdon Bay, Dover

Well, it didn't kill me,and maybe the fresh air didn't do me any harm, but I did take to my bed in the afternoon to listen to the football and try to get some zeds, which I failed to do. Last night, sleep didn't come easy either, despite taking most flu medication sold in Tesco. I guess I did fall asleep some time after two. That was after chasing the mouse Scully brought for me round the bedroom. She dropped it from her mouth and I was able to scoop it up and then carry it downstairs by it's tail to deposit it outside.

Langdon Bay, Dover

However much sleep i had, I was awake at half five, waiting for the alarm to go off and make the decision about going into work or not. Three night's poor sleep kinda swung it, and I am just dosing myself up on more drugs before heading back to bed and hopefully, some sleep.

The storms of Friday, ebbed away as darkness fell, but then the torrential rain began, and fell all night. We woke up at dawn with the rain still hammering down, so after a coffee, I headed to Tesco whilst Jools tidied up the house. Our plan to tackle the back garden failed due to the amount of rain we had, but a mail from a friend reminded me that a steam engine was due in Kent at lunchtime, and as promised, the rain stopped and the clouds cleared, just before one we headed out to Chartham to see Tornado pass, and for the last time for a while to see her in Brunswick Green.

So, with several like-minded people we gathered on the footbridge over the line with ten minutes to go in the autumnal sunshine, waiting for the crossing gates to be closed and the toot of the whistle. And as it turned out, she was on time; the gates were closed, the keepier giving us a thumbs up and so after a quick double-check of the camera settings, line up the shot and wait.

And here she comes.

60163 "Tornado" The Cathedral Express 6th October 2012 at Chartham, Kent

What a sight.

60163 "Tornado", The Cathedral Express at Chartham Kent

And there she goes.

67025

All in about 5 seconds.

We all check our shots and make our way to our cars, and for Jools and I , we check the Kent church reference book and decide to head to Crundale.

A 13th century church some one mile from the village set on a bluff overlooking a partly farmed and wooded valley. We parked up, walked through the lych gate and tried the door and found it unlocked.

It is a simple two cell church, with parts dating from as early as the late 12th century, but most no younger than 15th; it has been restored in Victorian times, but done quite well.

I take my shots, which come out OK, before we head outside and consult the book before deciding where to head to next.

It was a short drive to Waltham, but after finding the lane to Waltham blocked, we doubled back down a road so little used moss and grass was growing in the middle of the single track road, and it was littered with flints washed down from the hills above.

Once back in the village of Crundale we come across the pub, The Compasses, and as there was half an hour before closing time we decide to grab a drink. I have a very fine pint of Late Red whilst sitting in the corner, so I could get the best possible shots of the bar.

Back on the road and a short drive of a couple of miles to Waltham. St Bartholomew's is an unusual church, slightly square with a pitched roof and squat tower, and inside has the feeling of a barn, but it is light an airy, and decorated with autumnal flowers and dried hops.

I get my shots and decide that we have done enough, and we attempt to drive back to Canterbury voa Stone Street, an old Roman Road. We take the wrong turn and end up driving through Petham, which I am sure I have snapped the church of. I was wrong, and so we stop and I get out to snap that one, too.

Just coming out I meet the warden and she tells me something of the history and that the chancel walls are barrelling out and in danger of coming down; I discuss how other Kent churches have tackled this, especially Lyminge with it's single flying buttress. The warden is preparing for that evening's harvest supper, and I am sure it was rather wonderful.

I get my shots, and head back to the car, and then onto Canterbury and home. Listening to the radio was painful, as Norwich were playing Chelsea at the Bridge. City take an early lead, but The Blues score three ties in 12 minutes to knock the stuffing out of City, and score a forth late in the second half once we are home.

The season already feels long, and we have played less than 10 games.

Sunday morning, despite my fly and dripping nose, we head out at nine to head to the cliffs and our walk down to the beach.

Langdon Bay, Dover

We park on Reach Road where the dogwalkers park, and head to the cliff edge and then down to the start of the zig-zag path. It was a wonderfully clear day, with no clouds in the sky with just a hint of mist meaning France was out of sight in the haze.

Langdon Bay, Dover

As we begin to go down, we get out of the breeze and it really begins to warm up. We are treated to views down onto the beach and across to the ferry terminal, but have to watch our step as the ground is slippery after the rain on Friday and Saturday morning.

Langdon Bay, Dover

We make it down to the level of the searchlight battery, and then climb down the ladder to the beach. It is awe-inspiring to be in the lea of these massive cliffs, with other folks being tiny dots over 150 feet above us up on the cliffs near the coastguard station.

Langdon Bay, Dover

We spend about an hour down there, right up to hight tide at 10:35, before we begin the climb back up.

It is hard work, but we take our time, and within 15 minutes we are resting on the grass looking out over the Channel. Already the footpath between Dover and St Margaret's has many walkers, and after getting our breath back we head to the car and back home.

No comments: