Saturday 27 October 2012

Saturday 27th October 2012

I guess I should mention that whilst on the course, my back did, as expected begin to play up. I did warn the instructors, and they did help me through the toughest part, which I appreciated.

However, once back at home after two days of climbing and then sitting in not the most comfortable seats for most of the evening, it was clear that I would be in some pain over the next few days as the stresses and strains that my back suffered was worked out of my muscles.

In truth, it wasn't that bad, but at times just sitting at the table on Thursday as I worked from home was painful. At least I was booked to see the doctor on Friday and I could get the 'official' version on what was wrong with my back.

Over the past few months we had booked tickets to see some gigs and/or poetry readings, and I had marked all but one on our calender; for some reason I decided to seek out the Marcus Brigstocke tickets during Thursday to find out what day his gig was. Just as well that i did as it was that night.

So, Jools and I exchanged e mails, and we decided that we would head into Canterbury at about half five, find somewhere to have dinner and then see the show after. As darkness fell, we headed out along the A2 to Canterbury, parked at Watling Street and walked into the city centre.

Butchery Lane, Canterbury

I took a few street shots with the marvellous f1.4 lens, most coming out very well, before we came to Butchery Lane and the smell of cooking garlic mixed with exotic spices enticed us to a Moroccan restaurant. We checked we could get a meal in the hour or so before the show, and settled down with kir royals and looked at the menu.

We had a mixed Moorish platter to begin with followed by a tagine, and then home made ice cream to end the meal. It was very nice, and full of flavour, and we were out with ten minutes to spare before the show.

The show took place in the Shirley Hall, which is inside the 'private' King's School, which as a public school borders the cathedral close on its north side. I had wanted to take some shots, but by that time it was dark and most of the school buildings were in deep shadow and photography would have been impossible.

The Shirley Hall, Kings School, Canterbury

The show was good, a piss-take on David Cameron's 'big society' idea. That is where ordinary people take on the duties that the state should be doing; running schools, looking after the poor or sick and so on.

By the interval, it was clear that my long days away and Jools' broken sleep from her cough meant that we were shattered, and so we decided to head back home and get some extra shut-eye.

And so to Friday, and my only day in the office; and it being a weather day which means that I have the office pretty much to myself as the technicians did not have to come into work due to the high winds.

I got through the day and it was time to head back home and the appointment to the doctor. I picked up Jools at the bus stop, and we headed to the surgery; the doctor told me I have early-onset arthritis and a bulge in one of my discs which is pressing on my nerves, which explains my numb legs. I have to arrange some physio via my health insurance at work, and told to take pain killers and take more exercise. Not as bad as it could be, I suppose.

And to the weekend!

No comments: