Sunday 21 October 2012

Sunday 21st October 2012

So, I am bringing you the post-weekend blog a day early as I have to travel to the frozen north so I can be taught how to dangle from a rope without killing myself or anyone else.

As I am not very happy with heights, this week will be something of a trial for me; doubly so as I am doing the course with my boss. So, no chickening out!

I found out the results of my MRI on Friday; I say results, the doctor was so sure there would be nothing wrong he told me to ask the receptionist for what the report said. I did, and it being a couple of days late, means that if there was anything wrong it would be too late to cancel the course.

Half Sovereign Cottage, Hastings

Hope this is making sense to some of you....

I have some disc damage, nerve bunching. and I now have to see the doctor to find out what this all means. Which means after the course. So, I will do my best. I guess it is good in that I wasn't imagining the pain. I remember when in the final days of my service with the RAF, I registered with some service organisation, it was a week of much, much paperwork. And I was asked what my trade was; armourer says I. So, that'll be bad knees and back came the reply.

The Net Shops, Hastings

Didn't think too much about it at the time. I got to thinking of all the humping and dumping I did, lifting tails, missiles, budging s-type trolleys. Hmmmmm. Of course there was my end of service medical which resulted me in being discharged as fit. With my poor hearing!

Anyway, so, lets see what the quack says next Friday and hope I don't freeze to death on the tundra of the Lake District!

Sinnock Square, Hastings

So, this weekend: Friday afternoon I got my lens back fro the lensdoctor. It is wonderful to have it back, but as it was already getting dark by the time we were home, it would have to wait until Saturday to put it through it's paces. The question was, what to do?

Sinnock Square, Hastings

In the end we decided to head to Hastings, for the reason we haven't been there for some time. So, once we had ventured to Tesco to stock the larder, we had breakfast and headed out into the grey morning.

Sinnock Square, Hastings

To get to Hastings we travel along to Ashford and then across the marshes to Rye, through Winchelsea and onto Hastings. We parked up near the beach and set about to find the public toilets. We found them nearby, and were pleased to see that the local council had rated them with 5 stars, but despite advertising being open from seven in the morning, at half ten in the morning they we locked fast.

We walked around the Staid, snapping the exhibits of the fishing museum, including the towering net shops, which are now no longer used, but look like something from a Tim Burton film.

We head off into the town in search of:

1. interesting places to photograph 2. public toilets

Along to High street we come to a cafe, and decide to have a coffee and end up having an early lunch too. Afterwards we set off up a narrow path to see what we might find.

Houses had been built hugging the hillside, and were only accessible via the narrow and steep paths. As we went on the path got steeper as it weaved between the houses scattered around.

The houses cleared, and we found ourselves near the top of a hill, with yet more town just glimpsed on the other side of the green. Having climbed to the top, we rewarded ourselves with a sit down on a bench and a half hour looking at the world go by and the town spread out like a map below.

Ye Olde Pumphouse, Hastings

After a while we head down back into the town, back down via more steep pathways and down onto the High Street. We come out beside what looks like an ancient Shepherd Neame pub, and so we go in to have a drink, so I could get some shots. The beer was OK, but the service wasn't so hot, but it looked fine enough, although a search on the net reveals that it isn't as old as it looks.

We head back to the car via the beach so we can walk amongst the fishing fleet that is dragged onto the beach each evening, and is an unusual sight to see dozens of ships beached.

The New Inn, Winchelsea, East Sussex

We drive back home and stop off at Winchelsea, as I had always wanted to see inside The New Inn. I also took the chance to go into the ancient church opposite and photograph that. Inside the pub I have a pint of Speckled hen, which was the best of a poor selection, but the pub itself is a fine one.

The East Window, St Thomas, Winchelsea

Once home I sit down to watch Twitter and follow the City game against Arsenal that way. City take the lead through Holt in the 19th minute, and end up hanging on for their first win of the season.

And Sunday; it has rained all day. Sometimes it was just drizzle, at other times it was driving down. We sat inside and watched drops run down the windows. We cleaned the house, did some washing, and I caught up on my radio shows.

"Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"

I cooked rack of lamb for lunch, and very good it was too. So, I laid on the bed listening to the radio all afternoon. And now darkness has fallen, and the rain still falls. It looks and feels like autumn. This time next week the clocks will have gone back and it will be night time.

No comments: